Camera Noob -- Need help

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by depakjan, Nov 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. depakjan

depakjan Member

Looking to get a entry level mirrorless or DSLR camera

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    300 - 400$

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    Smaller the better , thats why leaning towards mirrorless

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    Standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    No clue what they are :(

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Normal day to day usage and during outings.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Not really

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    Nope

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Samsung nx2000 - really like this model, but i read display is hard to to see during
    Sony α (alpha) NEX-5T
    Canon rebel T5
    Nikon D3200

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    WIFI
    Smart features
    Image Stabilization

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The NEX 5t is excellent but it exceeds your budget. The Samsung NX2000 is also excellent and significantly cheaper than the NEX 5t. The Canon T5 and Nikon D3200 are both very good intro-level DSLR's and are larger and heavier than the NEX 5t and Samsung NX2000. Also the Canon and Nikon have a built-in flash and viewfinder, unlike the two smaller cameras.

As far as image quality is concerned, Sony, Samsung, Nikon and Canon have their own unique look - it's hard to say which is better.
    NEX 5t
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=interestingness-desc&text=sony nex 5t

NX2000
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=interestingness-desc&text=samsung nx2000

T5
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=interestingness-desc&text=canon rebel t5

D3200
    https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=interestingness-desc&text=nikon d3200

4. depakjan

depakjan Member

Thanks Kelly and Andy.

Out of the 4 i selected, is there any other good cameras in my price range .... i am still leaning towards NX2000 just for the price ...

Is not having a viewfinder a big issue?.. i know another annoyance is no built in flash ....

Image quality wise - when compared to DSLR (T5, D3200), does it have huge difference especially in low light scenarios

Also what is the general thought on getting used items for cameras?

5. Andy Stanton

If you're going to be using the camera outside a lot, a viewfinder is important. As with a smartphone you won't be able to see the LCD when the sun is bright.

The NX2000 comes with a flash but you have to attach it when you need it. I don't think that's a big deal, though, as you probably won't need the flash often as the NX2000 takes very good low light pics.

No, they all have large APS-C sensors which are approximately the same size.

I've bought cameras that have been refurbished by the manufacturer and they have been fine. But if you buy elsewhere you're taking a chance.

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Some other mirrorless choices:

Canon EOS M - Does not pack as many cool features as a Sony or Samsung. But the default color quality is very nice, comes with a good RAW editor, and (with an adapter) can use the huge Canon DSLR lens selection. There are budget DSLR lenses available from Canon, Sigma, and Tamron that are a little less expensive than most mirrorless brands. Of course these lenses have more bulk than a true mirrorless design, thus need a bigger bag.

Fujifilm X-A1/M1 - Kind of a specialty camera for enthusiasts. Nicer designs than Sony (my opinion) with nicer lenses. Unfortunately the extra lenses by Fuji are expensive. But, as with any mirrorless camera, adapters will let you use cheap old SLR lenses in manual mode.

Olympus M4/3 - All around nice cameras, no real weak points. Biggest native lens catalog (for auto focus lenses) of any mirrorless brand. These come in many models, one (likely more) is bound to fit your price point. The new OM-D E-M10 is really nice, may be over your price though.

Shooting with a LCD in sunlight is very much a personal call. I can do this with my old Oly PL2 without much difficulty, while it is impossible for my wife. The least expensive mirrorless cameras with viewfinders are the Panasonic M4/3 G3 and G5 and the Sony A3000.

Built-in flash is nice for parties and indoor family shots, but not something most people use a lot. Any camera that has a hotshoe will work with an external flash unit.

The big low light advantage for DSLR is not so much image quality as AF performance. The DSLR takes the picture very quickly, the mirrorless camera can take a couple of seconds to find focus (worst case).

Most of my lenses were bought used (as well as my cameras). But for less expensive accessories I usually buy new stuff. Adorama, B&H, and KEH are very good sources for used gear in good condition.

Kelly

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  7. depakjan

depakjan Member

I really don't think i will be getting additional lenses.

Best buy has a good deal sony alpha 5000 for 299$ same price as NX2000 .. is it a better camera?

8. Andy Stanton

The Best Buy website shows the Sony A5000 for $399, not $299.
    Both cameras are very good. The Sony has a built-in flash but no flash hotshoe. The Samsung's flash is separate (though included in the price) and is attached through the camera's hotshoe. The Samsung has a touch screen - the Sony doesn't.

9. depakjan

depakjan Member

Actually its available for 299 during thanksgiving(between nov 27 to 29th)... .... No touchscreen on this thing is a bummer :(

Some negatives for Nx2000
    Noticeable shutter lag
    Focusing not quite as fast as NX300
    Poor metering performance

Some negatives for a5000
    Poor continuous AF
    No touch
    bad LCD

Dont understand whats shutter lag or continuous AF

Also i read in some review for Nx2000
    Due to the 20-50mm lens lacking built in optical image stabilisation (OIS), video isn't as smooth as it would be with a OIS lens, and with continuous AF enabled the lens can hunt for focus at times, with the 18-55mm OIS lens a better choice for video use.

So image stabilization is not there? 20-50mm lens is what the camera comes with right?

10. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Shutter lag is the delay from the instant you finish the shutter button press to when the camera actually takes the photo. Due mostly slow auto focus. Continuous AF is the camera's ability to keep a moving target in focus while shooting. Both problems are common for most mirrorless cameras, especially the more inexpensive ones. These issues are of concern mainly while shooting active children or sports.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.