Can I buy Nikon p80?(Eagerly waiting for your Replies)

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by Brahmaasmi, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brahmaasmi

Brahmaasmi Member

I have been using Nikon coolpix(L6) for last 2 years.

Now, I needed a camera with atleast 10 MP & >5x Optical Zoom... + MANUAL MODE for adjusting (Shutter speed, Aperture length, ISO) + To shoot small movies with sound

P80 had everything I needed..I would like to buy that ..I read the prvious blogs that this had replica of Fuji's lenses..Can you please suggest me

1) Can I buy P80 ...is the lens quality good as with every camera of Nikon ?
    2) Or can I go for equivalent canon (i hate Canon personally as the picture quality lacks Gaama factor)
    3) Better can I go for any DSLR camera.if i take a DSLR,willI be able to shoot movies with sound..(IS it too difficult to operate a DSLR ?)

thanx,

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

You won't be able to shoot movies with a DSLR, so if that's a primary criteria for you, that option is out.

The P80 is a complete unknown at this point. It seems like it will be a strong camera, but Nikon hasn't been consistent with the Coolpix line of late - making some excellent camera but also some very average ones.

The similarities between the Nikon's lens and those from other manufacturers (Fuji) have probably been overstated, though I suppose anything is possible.

The closest Canon offering is the (somewhat aging though still quite good) S5 IS. It's a very solid camera, though I haven't a clue what you mean by Canons lacking "gaama," so I can't provide insight in this regard.

dr

3. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Well the Nikon P80 was just recently announced and I do not think that many people have gotten their hands on it yet so as far as image quality goes we really do not know much.

There are other options in the superzoom category from manufacturers like Canon and Panasonic as well as Fuji Film which make very nice super zoom cameras as well.

1. We don't know the quality of the lens because the camera has not been released yet and therefore no one has been able to evaluate it. Factors consider when evaluating a lens for quality include sharpness, chromatic aberration, purple fringing, barrel distortion and vignetting.

2. An equivalent Canon would be the S5IS which produces very nice pictures, I don't know what you mean by "lacking in gamma factor" but I can assure you that the Canon S5IS does take very nice photos.

3. There is no DSLR on the market than can record video or video with sound. In the future there may be but not right now. Image stabilization on a DSLR works the same as it does on any other camera with image stabilization, there is usually an on/off switch and a mode 1 or mode 2 of IS with different functions just like on any other camera with IS. On DSLR's you normally find two different systems of IS, in-lens image stabilization in which certain lenses themselves have image stabilization built in (Canon and Nikon) and in-body image stabilization which is built into the camera body and stabilizes any lens that you attach to the camera body Pentax, Olympus, Sony).

4. Brahmaasmi

Brahmaasmi Member

thanx for your guidance..i went through the reviews of S5IS.they have given me a good hope.i would like to know the following

1) the LCD screen of S5IS is 2.5 inches.So my generic question is "does LCD screen size plays a role in snap's size outcome.or to put in a more polished way ,,"won't be difficult to mange with 2.5 inch screen"?

2) they have mentioned in the review that Panasonic Lumix FZ18 as one of the competitors for this..so how about the quality of panosonic?

3) how long should i wait for the Nikon p80 reviews..It was release 3 days before..so when will be the right time to hear the reviews? 2 weeks later ?

thanx

5. jetstar

jetstar Well-Known Member

1. I am not sure I understand your question. The LCD screen size does not affect or influence the size of the image/photo. This is determined by the resolution at which the photo is captured.

2. The Panasonic Lumix FZ18 produces very good image quality.

3. You'll find P80 user reviews cropping up on the internet pretty soon.

6. denncald

denncald Well-Known Member

Here are reviews on the S5 IS and FZ18 that you may not have seen. One factor with the FZ18 is it can shoot in RAW, which can help overcome some of the camera's issues and/or poor selection of settings.

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-s5is/s5-gen.php

http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/panasonic-fz18/fz18-gen.php

Also, here are a couple of blog views on these two cameras;

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/9/index.php (FZ18)

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-logs/1/index.php (S2/S3/S5)

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.