Cannot See LCD Screen in Sunlight

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Myron, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

Am I the only 1 was this problem? I cannot see the LCD screen out of doors. I have tried brightening the screen and even using my hand to block the sunlight, but to no avail. Most of my photos are either off-center or are ruined. How do you guys use the screen? Indoors or on cloudy days, there's no problem. I am tired of getting home and having to delete most of my snapshots.

2. Medic

Medic Active Member

What camera are you using?

3. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Yeah, some cameras are worse than others. ALso, there may be a brightness setting that you could increase for use outdoors.

4. gradjansky

gradjansky Member

so which cameras have the best anti-glare led screens? Are they MUCH better?

5. gradjansky

gradjansky Member

I cannot figure out how to initiate a post, except by replying. Can someone tell me what to do? Thanks

Also, is there a page where I can either compare the features of all cameras in a particular category, or input the features I want and see which cameras include those features?

Thanks

6. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

When you find the topic-appropriate forum, there is a "New Thread" button near the top of the page. That will start new topic.

We don't have a compare tool that does things automatically. If someone is looking for buying suggestions, we ask that they fill out the questionnaire here: http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/showthread.php?t=33 and create a new thread in the Buying Suggestions forum.

7. Myron

Myron Well-Known Member

I was using the Canon SD 630. The problem is even worse with my Razr Cell phone as well as my camcorders; the LCD is practically useless out of doors. I purchased a shade called Hoodman, but it helps very little.

8. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Member

Would the newer LCD screens (SD750, SD1000) help with this issue? Or are they also not good enough in sunlight?

9. Gautam

Gautam Well-Known Member

Adjust the brightness on your LCD. But also expect some wash out when you are out in the sunlight. A screen protector will block off some glare, but only a bit. Try using your optical viewfinder if the LCD is totally washed out.

10. Sandbar

Sandbar New Member

I have the same problem with my Canon PowerShot SD800IS. When I'm in sunlight, the LCD screen is virtually unusable (the same thing happens with my cellphone). I've tried setting the brightness level (for this camera: pressing the DISP button for more than 1 second), but the display image is only marginally better. Shading doesn't help either. I'm thankful the camera has a viewfinder, but that doesn't help with information display on the LCD.

The Canon userguide says:
    "This is a normal occurrence in devices containing CCDs and does not constitute a malfunction."

Nice that they bury this in the fine print so you don't know about it until you buy the camera and try to use it!

Question: I've been thinking of buying the new megazoom Fuji HS10. This camera uses a backlit CMOS. Does anyone out there know if the same problem exists with this camera??

Last edited: May 22, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.