Canon 600d cannot turn on

Discussion in 'Canon' started by andy77andre, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andy77andre

andy77andre New Member

Canon eos 600d was bought 18 months ago. I live and take photos in Thailand (hot, but not extremely hot). I take a lot of photos.
    Around 2 months ago when I was taking photos on a trip, suddenly the camera stopped working. It looked like the battery is dead (wasn't dead, still 60 %). I changed the battery, tried both a couple of times - still not working. The same next day. and after 3 days it was ok. I took photos many times (maybe 3,000 pictures). But sometimes I had to take the battery out and in, after 2-3 times the camera was on.
    And now it's not working again. I think it is final. I cleaned, tried different "tricks", failed.
    ???
    It looks like problems with power, maybe ""wires" connection.
    What do you think? :(

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

This is a fairly common complaint with the T3i/600D. The problem seems to be that there's an issue with the plastic cover of the battery compartment. If it's not closed completely the battery won't engage. One thing you can try is putting a piece of paper under the battery, which will force it to make contact with the underside of the plastic cover.

There might be a problem with the microswitch that's associated with the battery door. Make sure it's clean. Here's a photo of the microswitch.
    IMG_0041_cr.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  3. andy77andre

andy77andre New Member

Thanks for the answer. I tried, unfortunately still it's not working.
    Recently I've started using a new lens: Tamron 18-270 mm (before only Canon 18-55 and 55-250).
    I wonder if the problem can be related to it.

4. Andy Stanton

I doubt it but there's an easy way to know for sure - switch back to your canon 18-55.

Another thing you can try is insert a completely new memory card.

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Andy is right. The lens has no effect here. Most likely either the battery or the memory card. Or the contacts for either.

Kelly

6. andy77andre

andy77andre New Member

Thanks. Already tried.
    I was thinking about the new lens: 1/ different brand (Tamron, not Canon); 2/before the problem I used much more Tamron than Canon ( and it worked slower and "harder").
    I will try with a new battery

7. Andy Stanton

And a new memory card.

8. joez

joez New Member

I'm having the same problem. A week ago I took a photo with my EOS600D and put the camera in it's bag. Today I took the camera out to take a photo and the power switch did nothing. I tried another battery, recharged both batteries and neither would power the camera on. I tried another memory card, removed the few photos from the original to my computer and put it back in the camera and still nothing. I cleaned the battery contacts, and checked the memory and battery slots for any damage or obstruction, finding none. Any thing else I can try or is it a defective camera? I've only used it about 4-5 times since buying it, having taken less than 100 photos.

9. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Does the charger for the batteries blink its light in way described in the manual?

Kelly

10. joez

joez New Member

The CHARGE light comes on for a few seconds and then the FULL light after a few seconds now that the batteries have been charged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.