canon a650 or sd950

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by maryr504, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maryr504

maryr504 New Member

i have been doing some research on a new camera and i am torn between the cannon a650 and the cannon sd950. Does anyone have any suggestions on which camera i should get. i am hearing great reviews on both of them other than a recall on the 650 that i am told is easily fixed by sending the camera back and getting a new one.

2. neenee

neenee Well-Known Member

Hm. For what do you plan to use either camera?

Or rather, please fill out the sticky and post that here. It will help readers of this thread decide on which camera to recommend to you.

3. denncald

denncald Well-Known Member

The A650 IS might need to be sent in for repair/replacement ONLY if the unit's serial number fits within those units with the problem. See Canon's website;
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...oryid=183&modelid=15658&keycode=2112&id=39151 Otherwise, newer units should not have this problem, according to Canon.

After reading some reviews on the SD950 IS, you might want to consider the SD870 IS. Some reviewers believe the SD950 (12 MP) images are too noisy above 200 ISO, when compared to the SD870, plus the SD870 has a wider zoom lens. More MP do not seem to equal better quality images lately.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I would agree that, factoring in the trade-offs, you don't get a significant image quality improvement with the SD950 IS over something like the 870 IS.

With the wide-angle lens, the 870 is a really nice camera.

dr

5. maryr504

maryr504 New Member

really i just plan on using it for basic picture taking of the kids. birthday party and ect.

6. denncald

denncald Well-Known Member

If you do not want more than good basic features, and desire quality images, I think the SD870 would be very satisfactory. The SD950 and A650 would be more expensive, and be a bit of overkill for your needs. The SD870 sounds like it might be more convenient to carry around for many opportunities, and allow you to capture more photos without the bulk and weight of other cameras. You could most likely use it in full Auto and get what you seek each time.

You might also consider a screen protector for the large LCD of the SD870;

http://www.boxwave.com/products/cle...n-protector-canon-powershot-sd870-is_2828.htm

7. maryr504

maryr504 New Member

thank you all for your opinions it helped me decide what i bought, i decided to go with the a 650, i opted not to go with the 870 because for the same price i decided for the more mps in the 650.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.