1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Canon black screen problem

Discussion in 'Canon' started by Merle, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Merle

Merle New Member

Hello, my Canon PowerShot A2300 has a black screen. I've seen some solutions for other Canon models online but nothing specifically for the A2300. I'm assuming its a stuck shutter. Not the lense. I would appreciate any assistance. Thanks.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Can you get any menus to appear on the screen or is it black 100% of the time? If it's the latter the problem is with your LCD screen (not the shutter or the lens).

3. Merle

Merle New Member

Thanks for your quick response.The screen shows menus but when entering video or camera mode the screen is black aside from a the left hand lower corner being slightly illuminated with red light when I try to take the photo. I've researched this on the net and I think that the problem it that the shutter is stuck in the closed position.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Since your menus are working it's not an LCD problem. It could be a closed shutter or a defective sensor. Both problems are major and, considering the modest price of your camera, it's probably not worth spending the money to fix.

5. AndreaXP

AndreaXP New Member

If it is not a hardware problem, you can solve yourself.