Canon DSLR

Discussion in 'Canon' started by SocialCube, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SocialCube

SocialCube New Member

Re: Which camera should I buy FAQ (Please read before posting)

Hi all

I'd be keen for your advice. I'm new to photography, it's a hobby really - but I would like to purchase a digital SLR camera that will see through novice stage and still be a camera that I would enjoy using once I develop further skills. I love taking night shots and landscape photography -- and want to develop photography skills in this area, with a SLR camera that will work with these kinds of shots.

I'm looking at buying this Canon digital SLR camera ...

Has anyone used that model of Canon digital SLR camera?

Thanks!

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

My DSLR is a Canon 50D, which is the prior model that the 60D replaced. Nice camera, the next model up from the 60D for Canon would be the 7D, which is quite a bit more expensive.

Kelly Cook

3. SocialCube

SocialCube New Member

Thanks Kelly,

How do you find your camera? Do you think that the Canon 60D digital SLR camera is overkill given that I'm new to photography? I want to get something that will be easy for me to use now, but will stand the test of time as I get better at photography.

SC

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Have you had a chance to try out the 60D? It's a large, heavy camera. Canon makes an excellent smaller DSLR with many of the features of the 60D, the Rebel T3i.

Here are links to this website's reviews of the 60D and the T3i:

Canon EOS 60D Review

Canon EOS Rebel T3i Review

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Any DSLR will be overkill on Day One, if you are completely new to photography. But the 60D has all the same Auto features as the Rebels, for novices who want the camera to do most of the work. It will "stand the test of time" so long as that time is the APS-C platform. Actually, the controls on the 60D are pretty darned similar to the full frame 5D series, so that transition would be easy. But if you do expect to end up with a full frame model down the road, buy FF (EF instead of EF-S) lenses. Which the 60D also works well with, allowing for the difference in crop factor.

Kelly

6. Annoh

Annoh Member

TS,
    Maybe you should have a look at the Canon 650D. It does have AF when you are making a video and it has touchscreen. The AF for photo is the same as the AF of the Canon 60D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.