Canon EOS 350D says its busy no matter what I do and won't save photos

Discussion in 'Canon' started by Fee42, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fee42

Fee42 Member

Hi,

So last month I had my Olympus Pen Mini stolen and a kind friend gave me his old canon 350d, he tested it out before sending it to me and it appeared to work fine. I got it, took some photos of my room to have some practice (my last camera was very different) and it seemed to work. I however could not get my computer to recognize the camera to import them (this is a separate issue, I have a card reader coming in the post to deal with this).

A couple of days ago I went out on a photo mission, it worked fine, took loads of pics (though not LOADS by my normal standards, maybe 40 tops). At one point it decided to stop working, it said it was "busy". I disregarded it as an unhappy moment, turned it off and carried on.

Yesterday I was taking some pictures of my artwork, after abut 10min it said it was busy again and nothing I could do would make it take a photo and save it. It acts like its taking the picture, and lets me take another, but when I go to look at them it says its busy. If I turn it off it doesnt quite turn off, the little numbers in the top of the screen stay there.

I tried taking the battery out, swapping it for another, I took oout the date and time battery to reset it, went back and tried again. Same problem. Took the lens off, took a "photo" same problem, tried with flash disabled, and with a different memory card. NOTHING. now its sat here saying busy and I am wondering how long it will stay like that for.

I don't know what to do, I am so grateful he gave me this camera and it is such a shame that it appears to have died on me a few days after me having it. It is old (the receipt says 2005) but surely that isn't THAT old for a camera?

I wanted to update the firmware but as my computer won't recognize it, this seems unlikely.

All help will be appreciated greatly

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The most obvious possibility is the memory card. The Rebel XT (EOS 350D) does not use the standard SDHC memory cards. You need a compact flash card.

3. Fee42

Fee42 Member

I have two compact flash cards that the previous owner used. It was working a few days ago, it mysteriously stopped working yesterday. I have tried both cards, formatted them and cleaned the contacts according to the directions of the friend who gave it to me. I think he has written it off as dead but I am reluctant as I cannot afford a camera and there must be a way to fix it....

4. Andy Stanton

Before giving up on the camera I'd invest in a new compact flash card. If that doesn't work your only option (as far as I know) is to have the camera professionally repaired.

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Good suggestions from Andy. Another thing to try is to reset the camera's menu settings.

Kelly Cook

6. Fee42

Fee42 Member

I already tried re setting the settings, I think my friend thought I had done something to it so that was the first suggestion he gave. In truth I was too nervous to mess with the settings too much until I knew it better anyway. I will buy a new card though. Recommendations?

7. Andy Stanton

Get a cheap one in case it doesn't work. Transcend, Kingston, Lexar, Sandisk - they're all good..

8. Fee42

Fee42 Member

I thought cheap ones were not a good idea, if its having problems writing to the disk fast enough won;t the speed be part of the problem?

9. Fee42

Fee42 Member

10. Fee42

Fee42 Member

I don't know why but I just picked it up just to see and it worked normally, took the photo and saved it, let me see it....

I am not holding my breath but still. Whatever it is is not totally dead it seems....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.