Canon EOS50D with 18-200 Lens

Discussion in 'Canon' started by Photobug4741, Jan 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Photobug4741

Photobug4741 Active Member

Post removed

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. Photobug4741

I did look at the Nikon D90 but I have used Canons since my first A1 many years ago. Also such good luck with the Gs. Tell me why the Nikon D90 would be a better choice then the Canon EOS 50D?

4. Photobug4741

The reviews I read say the focus is great.:) http://www.ciao.com/Canon_EOS_50D__15671418

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The D90 has video capability, which the 50d lacks. The D90feels great in the hand and is smaller and lighter than the 50d. The D90's autofocus works really well and doesn't have the issues that the 50d apparently has. Finally, I think the image quality of the D90 is superior to the 50d, though this is purely a subjective thing.

6. Photobug4741

I have a Canon HG10 Video camera so video was not a factor in my choice.

7. SoCalRich

SoCalRich Well-Known Member

I read all 3 of those reviews out at Ciao. IMHO That is a LOT :eek: of money to spend based on just those 3 reviews of 1-4 paragraphs each. None of those reviews would I consider to be a objective, IN DEPTH professional review. These reviews are from end users and we have no idea of their professional depth of knowledge is.

I would certainly read some more professional reviews on this site as Andy pointed out, before buying this camera. That being said, I wish you the best of luck in what ever decision you make.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  8. Photobug4741

Well I buy a lot from B&H Photo in NY,so if the Canon EOS 50D does not fill my needs I will quickly return it. I am not a professional so my needs are not as complex as many others might be. I just need a quick zooming focus with fairly good quality pictures. I had around $20,000 in Blad camera and lens that I really never used lucky to have gotten rid of it a few years ago. Just used a Canon A1 with a 90/210 lens for years. So investing $1,500 in the new Canon EOS 50D does not bother me.:)

One can read every review people write about a camera system, but your the only one who really has to be happy with what you use and how it works.

I surly will report if I can live with the new Canon EOS 50D as I have placed it on order today and should get it by next Friday.:)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  9. SoCalRich

SoCalRich Well-Known Member

You said it all... Look forward to hearing your report...

10. Photobug4741

The new Canon EOS 50D with 18/200mm Lens system arrived yesterday at about 6pm, I had to wait a few hours because it was in UPS truck at 22 degree's F since morning. I had picked up a 4gb SanDisk E-III CF since Canon does not provide even a small test card with system. I had bought and extra battery and charged it so I was ready to see if the D50 would work.

All went well I formatted the CF card set the date and time. You use 24hr military time but it shows up as AM and PM. Manual does not address this but you quickly find out about it.

I did some playing around in house using the cameras small flash, It's not something you really want to use. I have my older Canon 430EX and am sure it would really improve flash pictures.

Today I did some outdoor shooting in sun light, The 18/200 lens really shines in the sun light. I just used auto and auto focus and all my pictures were sharp and in focus with great colours.

The 50D is a lot different then my P.S. Gs were and this being my first DSLR had a film Canon SLR A1 I used till about 10 years ago, when I switched to small digital P.S. cameras. My first was a Kodak 3 MP followed by a Canon G2.

Well it took some manual reading to really understand how to use the 50D in live view as I have used my G10, This can't be done in auto mode and Canon ships the 50D in auto mode. Took a while to figure how to get it into live view mode.

I have found it's really best to use the view finder over live view, you get much better focus with the view finder.

Also the picture reviewing system take some getting used to, but I really think it's better and much more useful then what used on the Gs.

I like the new D50 but admit it's heavy compared to my G10 so I surly won't be getting rid of the G10 anytime soon.

I know this is not a really great report but I wanted to give you a quick post as I learn how this camera does it's thing and how hard it is for a new to the DSLR system to understand how to get good results.:)

Feel free to ask questions or offer me advice.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.