Canon G12 vs Panasonic LX5 vs Nikon P7000

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by pixelmantis, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pixelmantis

pixelmantis Member

Canon G12 vs Panasonic LX5 vs Nikon P7000

I just put up a page with some quick comparison among the top three prosumer cameras at the moment. Hope it'd be helpful to those who are still on the fence in choosing one for the holidays.

2. brianwestchest

brianwestchest New Member

Which would be best for low light situations?

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

For the same price a DSLR or 4/3 camera (Panasonic G10, Olympus E-PL1) would do much better in low light.

4. brianwestchest

brianwestchest New Member

Thanks for the reply Andy. Which DSLR would you recommend in the $400-$600 price range (with lens), if any? I see that Costco has the Panasonic G10 on sale right now. But, I understand my options with lenses are limited with the four thirds standard- not as many third party options available.

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

If having a wide selection of lenses to choose from is important to you, I agree a 4/3 camera is not the best choice.

At this point the top entry-level DSLR's are probably the Nikon D3100 and the Canon Rebel T1i. These cameras may be available within your price range. Another excellent lower priced DSLR to consider is the Pentax K-X. Sony makes a few lower priced DSLR's also (A290, A390, A330) but they lack movie modes and the A290 does not have live view. A couple of older cameras, the Canon Rebel XS and Nikon D3000, are also available within your budget, but they also lack movie modes and the Nikon does not have live view.

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Lens selection for the Olympus E-series 4/3 DSLRs (not Micro4/3) is better than for the M4/3 cameras. Though still well short of the Canikon selection (or even Pentax and Sony). The switch for Oly production from DSLRs to M4/3 has left their DSLRs at low stocks in stores, can now be hard to find. But the prices for these are also low.

Kelly Cook

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.