Canon Ixus 120IS slow to respond question

Discussion in 'Canon' started by wanderintraveler, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanderintraveler

wanderintraveler Active Member

Hi. I have a Canon Ixus 120IS. I'm a bit disappointed with it because it's so slow in taking pictures. When I click the shutter it takes awhile and after taking the picture there is still a lag before I can take another picture.

In the future I would like to avoid making the same mistake so my question is how do you call this spec of the camera so that when I look at reviews I will know that it's a slow one. What kind of speed is it? Sorry I'm not familiar with photography terms.

Thanks.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

You're probably referring to shutter lag - the period of time between pressing the shutter and actually taking the picture. DCR's camera reviews give the times for two types of shutter lag. One is the shutter lag when the camera is prefocused - once the shutter is pressed halfway down and focus is locked. The other is when there has not been prefocusing. Shutter lag when prefocused is almost always much shorter than when the camera is not prefocused.

You may also be referring to the period of time between flashes. The SX120IS has moderately quick shutter lag but is very slow between flashes.

3. wanderintraveler

What kind of digital cameras would have a faster one. Or only the dslr kind can do the job?

4. Andy Stanton

If you look at DCR's review of the Canon SX120IS http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4126&p=2 you see that it achieved the best possible score, .01 second, for shutter lag when the camera is prefocused. That means there is essentially no shutter lag under those conditions.

Shutter lag when the SX120IS is not prefocused is .68 second, or a little longer than 1/2 second. If the .68 second time is too slow for you, the best thing to do is to prefocus - press the shutter halfway down to lock focus and hold it until you're ready to take the shot.

You won't get appreciably better results unless you use a fast focusing DSLR like the Canon Rebel XS.

5. wanderintraveler

Hi. I have looked into the Canon SX120IS. Problem is I prefer a camera that doesn't uses AA batteries. I have that already and that's exactly why I thought of buying a new camera with a rechargeable one because the AA batteries gets used up pretty quick. Now, the batteries are not a problem but the performance. Also Canon SX120IS doesn't seem have the capability of recording HD movie clips.
    I have a new baby and that's exactly the reason why I thought of having a nice camera to take pics and video clippings to record her milestones.
    Most of this would take place indoor and so it's also important that the camera can perform well in this conditions. It should be an all around camera because it will be a family cam, so I would also want it to be portable and not as huge as a professional kind like dslr. I noticed the dslr kind are huge with big lenses. I don't think I would need such a long lens for zooming anyway. I think somewhere in between a dslr and an ultra compact. I just noticed that it seems ultra compacts doesn't shoot well indoors with low light so maybe a compact one will do??? Oh and because I'm just a novice, most likely it will be a point and shoot camera so perhaps it would be a waste if I buy a dslr. I would prefer the brands of either Canon or Sony and a 3rd option Panasonic.

If you have any suggestions or ideas I'd appreciate if very much. Thanks a lot.

6. Andy Stanton

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were referring to the Canon SX120IS but you were referring to the Ixus 120is (SD940IS in the USA).

But what I said about the SX120IS also applies to the Ixus 120IS. If you look at DCR's review of the Ixus 120IS http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4125&p=2 you see that shutter lag is only .03 seconds when the camera is prefocused and only .34 seconds when it's not prefocused. You won't get faster times than this with any point and shoot camera.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.