Canon Powershot A590 eating batteries

Discussion in 'Canon' started by dentanoeman1, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dentanoeman1

dentanoeman1 New Member

My Canon PowerShot A590 only lets me take a few pictures before the low battery light comes on. Any body know what going on?

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Have you tried rechargeable AA's like Eneloops?

3. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with my A590 , I have heard that it is due to bad connection between the battery and the camera, which i think is true as when i get the low battery warning if i open the battery cover and then close it most of the time the battery warning will go away.

And i have tried lots of different brands of rechargeable battery`s including Eneloops.

I have cleaned all the contacts in the camera with a special conductive pen but i still get the low battery warning, it`s a shame as this is such a great camera. :(

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  4. NutMagnet

NutMagnet Member

Hi

Just noticed this thread by chance... I came in to ask a question.. :)

I've owned several powershots A520, A530 and now an A560.

The first two A520 & A530 were excellent with batteries, I'd put rechargeable's in and they'd last a week with good use. The A560 is a different beast.... eating batteries in minutes and I found the higher the mAh the shorter the life... :confused:

I discovered CHDK and loaded it onto the memory card and I get a much better life on batteries now although it still doesn't work with my Duracell 2700 mAh batteries. The Duracell's just get the change battery warning as soon as I switch on the camera.

I'm not sure if this is Firmware, a sensor or battery size with the door contacts causing the problem because I kind of fixed part of my issues with loading CHDK but the camera still won't accept my 2700mAh batteries which I know are OK and fully charged. :confused:

You could try CHDK and see if it works for you. A590IS - CHDK Wiki

5. Andy Stanton

You're not the first person who's complained about the A590 IS and battery life. There seems to be a defect in the camera, possibly with the battery contacts.

6. trx

trx New Member

I have exactly the same problem!

I've been using PowerShot A590 IS for 3.5 years and I had no problems with it so far.

Couple of months ago, camera started to eat batteries after 10 or 15 shots even without flash. When I put freshly charged batteries in it, it shows "low-battery" sign immediately.

Obviously, first thought was that the batteries are gone, so I've bought the brand new pair of GP 2100mAh. No luck - same behavior.
    Tried couple of other batteries, too. No luck.
    I even tried all these batteries in other cameras and they worked flawlessly.

Could this problem be easily fixed or does Canon admit design flaw just like faulty CCD on A75 ?

7. Andy Stanton

It's possible the camera might be giving you a false message when it says the batteries are low. Test it out by trying to operate the camera once the low battery message comes on. If you can continue to take pictures with it, you'll know that the problem is a false message rather than battery drain.

8. trx

trx New Member

Unfortunately, when the the low-battery sign is on I can operate camera in playback mode for some time, but when I switch to shooting mode camera turns off pretty quickly.

I just tried CHDK and it reports battery voltage to be ~2.297V and it's lower then minimum requered by camera (2.300V).
    I pulled out batteries and tested them with the manual voltmeter: one was 1.284V and other 1.286V.
    Anyways, both of them together should give ~2.57V.

So, I have two guesses:

1. maybe there's some big resistance inside it that lowers the voltage before it makes to the electronics
    2. maybe there's some kind of shortcut that sucks current thus immediately lowering voltage on batteries

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  9. NutMagnet

NutMagnet Member

Hi trx

I upgraded to a Canon IXUS 200 IS in the end..

My old camera was pretty useless using rechargeable batteries in the end even with CHDK although I did find that cheap Alkaline batteries worked OK and when the camera was finished with them I could continue using the batteries in my Mini Maglite LED torch and my LED cycle lights..

I was using cheap (6 x AA for £1) alkaline purchased from one of our local discount stores.. http://www.poundland.co.uk/6-kodak-aaa-batteries/

I guess its a problem somewhere in the camera and not the batteries like you discovered by testing them. There were fixes posted around the various forums for other canon powershot cameras that suffered the same problem and one of them was using little slithers of plastic and slipping them under the contacts of the battery door to raise the contacts slightly. Maybe the "sprung" contacts flatten after some use with age..

10. trx

trx New Member

Well, after this experience I would be afraid to upgrade to Canon, who nows which global problem with whole series could emerge again. :(

Is here some 'right' address where one could report to Canon this global problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.