Canon PowerShot A590 IS Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjones

sjones Member

Re: Canon PowerShot A590 IS Review

Excellent review David. This is one of the best review of this camera I have found on the web. As a Canon PowerShot owner for about a month, your analysis of the Canon PowerShot A590 IS is spot on. It truly is a competent camera that does many things well, but doesn't excel in any one area. For it's low price, it's actually one of the best buys on the market.

One thing you didn't touch upon in your review, and something worth pointing out to potential buyers is the decreased performance of the video recording mode from its predecessor the A570. The video records at only 20 frames per second (FPS) rather than 30 like on the A570, at the highest 640x480 resolution. This means video quality is noticeably choppy when one pans the camera. Recording anything moving at a moderate speed means that images are less than smooth. I'm sure this crippling of a camera feature will bother some users who split a greater percentage of time using their camera for video recording. Since I knew this ahead of time before buying the camera, it wasn't much of an issue.

Keep up the good work.

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Thanks, sjones! And thanks for calling attention to the video issue: it is an odd decision, and one that's thankfully been rectified in the latest PowerShot models. It's unclear to me why they went that direction for that single generation of the PowerShot A cameras.

dr

3. SandyCo

SandyCo New Member

sjones, THANK YOU so much for pointing this out. I just ordered this camera from Amazon, and now I'm nervous. Apparently, this camera does shoot 30 frames/second, but with lower pixels. How would that affect the movies? I don't want to have to return this camera, but I take a lot of video, and I don't want to be disappointed with that aspect. Thanks again.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've seen a sample video from the A590IS and it looked OK to me. I suggest that you try it out for yourself once you receive your camera. The A590IS is an excellent camera, especially for the price, and it would cost you much more to get something that's similar to the A590IS but with better video.

5. SandyCo

SandyCo New Member

I found some sample videos on YouTube, and you're right, the video looked pretty good. I think I might see a difference if I pan too fast, but that's it. Thanks for the good advice. I'm probably going to stick with this camera after all. :)

6. April77

April77 Active Member

The following are 2 links to some photos taken with Canon A590. As you can see, the photos are not that good. I am not sure of the exact technical terms (maybe some overexposure).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zargozasya/3253021544/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zargozasya/3148675908/

Is this problem common in all compact cameras or just this brand?
    What steps may we take to prevent such problems?
    What is the best setting for such situations?

Thank you in advance

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  7. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Well-Known Member

Hi.

If face detection had been used the people in the first picture would be a lot better exposed.

John.

8. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

On the first picture, your camera focused on the fountain, not the women. On the second photo, it looks like the camera focused on the clouds instead of the gravestones.

The A590is contains three different types of autofocus - 9 point, face detection and center. As John noted, in the first picture, if your autofocus had been set to face detection, the camera would have focused on the faces and the picture would have come out fine. To avoid situations like the second picture, you could change the autofocus to center, which would enable you to have maximum control over which part of the picture is the focus point. Then you could make sure the focused on the desired spot, the gravestones in the second photo, and your picture would be properly exposed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.