Canon powershot s95 or elph 300 (ixus 220) hs?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Lympero, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lympero

Lympero New Member

Me and my wife want to replace our old combo ( point and shoot Olympus and Sony h7v ) with a single camera. My wife prefers sth simple but i want sometimes to experiment with manual mode. Our first choice is the canon s95 and it costs 385 euro. However yesterday I saw a review from ixus 220 hs which is relative new and has also a modest manual mode + its half price, cost 190 euro.

We travel a lot and thats the main use. Pics day and night. Do u think that the s95 is really that much better that worths the extra money?

Thanks

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The S95 has a larger sensor and full manual exposure controls. The Elph 300 is an excellent small camera with very limited manual exposure controls (no direct control of aperture and shutter speed) and its image quality overall is not as good as the S95. However, in most shooting situations you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between images taken with either camera.

Here are sample images:

canon s95 - Flickr: Search

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=canon+ixus+220+hs

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. Lympero

Lympero New Member

Thanx for the quick response! It's a hard decision and still I'm not convinced that the s95 worths the extra money. Can u recommend sth closer the the s95 quality with better video capabilities ( zoom )

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The Samsung TL500 (aka EX1) can usually be found priced under the S95. Dunno how the video compares.

Samsung TL500 Review

Kelly Cook

5. Lympero

Lympero New Member

I'm also considering the nikon coolpix p300 but it starts from iso160. How badly can this affect low light photos?

6. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Nikon P300 is very similar to the Canon Elph 300 but the Nikon has a faster lens so, at wide-angle, the Nikon will have a brighter image than the Canon at any particular ISO. The Nikon also has a sharper LCD screen and full manual exposure controls. The Nikon is also quite a bit more expensive than the Canon and larger and heavier than the tiny Canon. Overall image quality is about equal.

Here are sample images from the Nikon P300:

The World's Best Photos of nikon and p300 - Flickr Hive Mind

An ISO of 160 has no effect on low light photos.

ISO readings are higher when the camera has to compensate for low light conditions. An ISO of 160 is selected when there is bright light. ISO's of 400 and higher are selected in when lighting is low.

7. jasaints

jasaints New Member

I think Canon PowerShot S95 is better and the highlight of this model is picture quality which is very different from other camera in this class and this is more review that I think it will useful

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
  8. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Nikon P300 specs are promising. But the initial reviews have been luke warm. For low light I'd look more to the Canon ELPH 500 or Samsung TL500. For manual control the Canon SX130 or SX230. Sony HX7V is an interesting all-arounder.

no help Kelly

9. skotidas

skotidas New Member

Canon S95 Vs Sony Hx9v

10. JohnWalts

JohnWalts New Member

I think the elph 300 would be the best bet for what you're looking for. I got this and haven't looked back. :D

I was hoping I could use this with a projector like the AAXA P4 Pico Projector or a Microvision ShowX projector and connect it through AV cables.

What would you say the quality is using the AV cables on this camera? I haven't yet used it and was wondering what you though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.