Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Just to make this clear from the beginning: the Canon PowerShot SD780 IS isn't going to beat out more advanced point-and-shoots when it comes to pure photographic power. When it comes to specs, the SD780's 3x zoom and 2.5 inch LCD may be forgettable, but the fact that it's only 0.7 inches thick is worth remembering.

Read the full content of this Article: Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Review

Related Articles:

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Re: Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Review

Lots of great features but the noise issue, and noise reduction effects, really take their toll at anything higher than 80 ISO. Canon would have been much better off with a 10 mp sensor.

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I agree completely, Andy. For casual shooters, I still think the SD780, what with its features, great AF, etc., etc., is an excellent choice. It could have been a superior all-around model with a better lens and sensor.

dr

4. nyb141

nyb141 New Member

Excellent review. Would it be possible to elaborate on the video recording quality and features review? I'd love to know how it compares against Sony. HD recording is one of the newest features for Canon compacts.

5. J.R.

J.R. Active Member

Great review, David; I was pretty impressed with this camera's feel and build quality, myself. It's very solid. It might be worth picking one up for a pocket cam, depending on how good the video performance is.

6. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

Great review! As usual, I think Canon point-and-shoots have excellent colour reproduction.

Just a random note, is the lens ever small :p.

7. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I had a chance to play with the camera this afternoon at my local Best Buy. Much different than any other Canon - very small, thin and stylish.

8. SD780 IS

SD780 IS Member

Thanks for the review. It convinced me! I just made the purchase on this camera for $220! Woo.

How is the 720p on this camera compared to Vado HD and MinoHD?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. cport

cport New Member

This camera works great until one day, as others have mentioned, you get the "Lens Error, Restart Camera" error.

You can restart until the cows come home, but it will not work. Your camera is as good as dead. This was my second Canon camera because I thought it was a good product.

We sprung for a more expensive one as well, but it's all down the drain less than 1 1/2 years later (just a few months after the manufacturer's warranty expired) because the camera will not work at all. When I contacted Canon support, they told me it has to do with using a low or discharged battery.

They said I could either pay $119+ to repair it, or trade it in for a new refurbished camera using their "Canon Loyal Program." I no longer have loyalty to Canon.

If you're lucky this error might not happen to you, but if it does, it'll be an expensive mistake. It is a widespread problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.