Canon Powershot xsis10 - pics tad blurry - Help please

Discussion in 'Canon' started by bethc, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bethc

bethc Active Member

Hi. Recently my pics have been a little blurry and I can't seem to fix this problem. I take mostly bird and animal shots using the Auto focus setting. I work at the zoo and we've had two giraffe births in the past two weeks! SO, I really want to get some pics but know I should study the manual further but just wanted to throw out a quick "help please."

Thanks so much in advance.
    Beth

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Your pictures can be blurry for several reasons. One is that there's a problem with your camera's autofocus. Hopefully that's not the case here. But if it is, your camera does have a manual focus mode. It's not as easy to operate as autofocus, but it is an option you may want to consider. Check your manual for information on how to access manual focus.

Another reason for blurry pictures may be that you're using the long end of the zoom and/or your camera is moving when you take the picture. To stabilize the camera use the electronic viewfinder and hold the camera up to your face. This will give you more stability.

Blurry pictures are sometimes caused by the camera's auto mode failing to shoot at a high enough shutter speed. This is particularly a problem in low light environments. Try putting your camera in shutter priority mode (Tv) and shooting at increasingly faster shutter speeds (1/200, 1/300, etc.) until the blur disappears.

3. bethc

bethc Active Member

Thanks for your quick response. Will followup on your suggestions. What does 'using the long end of the zoom' mean? I do use the zoom on most of my photos.

Again, thank you.

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I mean zooming to the maximum, or close to it. The farther out you zoom, the harder it is to keep the image from shaking. That's why you need to stabilize the camera as much as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.