Canon Rebel XSi Review Discussion

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by David Rasnake, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arubinst

arubinst New Member

Re: Canon Rebel XSi Review

Thanks for your quick reply. Is there any other lense you would suggest instead of the Tamron? Or maybe I should just keep the kit lens for the times I would need the 18mm for now? I was also initially looking at the new 55-250 EF-S lens but thought the Tamron sounded like it might better suit my purposes. Is the Tamron 17-55 2.8 you mentioned above an IS lens?

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

The 17-55 Tamron is not an IS lens, though it is quite good in every respect. I'd recommend this or the Canon 17-85 for most uses, though again, the 17-85 is a fairly slow lens.

I was unimpressed by the 55-250. Even for its price, this is a pretty weak (from an optical standpoint) lens that has trouble showing much sharpness across its range. Maybe I got a bad copy, but I couldn't get anything that approached the sharpness I'm used to with consumer-grade lenses, even at the center of the frame at f/8. Based on this, not my choice of telephotos for sure.

There are some middling steps that give you some improvements over stepping up to the slightly pricey Tamron 17-55 or Sigma 18-50, but it's probably best to just keep the kit lens instead of buying something in-between until you're ready to make this jump, in my opinion.

dr

3. mark

mark New Member

david,
    new owner of canon rebel xti
    having trouble re setting the date function
    any tips?

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Hi Mark -
    Congrats on the new camera. Our review unit has been shipped back to Canon, so I don't have an XSi handy for a walk-through. As I remember, setting the date was pretty conventional (it prompted on first startup, etc.). Can you tell me a little more about what's giving you fits?

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.