Canon Rebel XSi VS Nikon D60

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by dragonfly11m, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonfly11m

dragonfly11m Member

I am needing some help or recommendations in deciding between the Canon Rebel XSi and the Nikon D60. I don't really know a lot about cameras or the lingo. I am hoping for insight from either people that have one of these cameras or from people that are knowledgable about cameras.

I am wanting a camera that takes good quality pictures and isn't too complicated to operate. I am willing to spend up to $750.00 so I figured these two models fell within my budget.

I have read several reviews that the lens was more important than the body, so going with a cheaper model ( Nikon D40 ) and investing in a better lens is a better choice, but I don't know first hand the true difference in lenses and their capability. Any recommendations on that too ( type of lens, etc.. would be appreciated ).

- I plan on using my camera for everyday pictures ( indoors and outdoors ).

-I am not camera biased, so brand doesn't matter

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Canon XSi has two features that put it ahead of the Nikon D60. One is that the XSi has "live view" capability, meaning that you can frame your picture with the LCD. The D60 requires you to use the viewfinder 100% of the time. Another is that the XSi's autofocus uses 9 points while the D60 uses only 3 points, which theoretically means that the XSi's autofocus will give you more reliable results. On the other hand, there are those who dislike the feel of the XSi's body. Also, many DSLR users prefer Nikon's picture quality over that of Canon.

3. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

My understanding was that Expeed was Nikon's image pipeline name, not a specific chip family. the D60 is about a year old, similar to the XSi, so both are probably running one generation back in chip technology. I'd be surprised if Nikon was running the same Expeed from their coolpix's through the D3x
    A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.