Canon SD870 IS vs Fuji F40/50fd vs others?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by clb, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clb

clb Member

hi, I'm hoping to get a new DC on boxing day and have been doing research and reading reviews for quite a while.

Since the standard DC out there nowadays is 7-8 MP, my other criteria are as follow:

be able to take pix at low/dim light environment
    better than 3x optical zoom
    compact
    fast picture to picture response time

I've kinda narrowed it down to SD870 and Fuji F40fd based on reading reviews... even tho the Fuji gives a 3x optical zoom only and video w/ no zoom :(

I've personally went and played with a SD870 but found it slightly bulky...not as ultra compact as some reviews have said it to be... but anyway...another thing is...can someone tell me what material it's made out of 'cause the camera casing feels like it's made out of plastic, as I noticed dents on the store camera :eek:

I'm opened to other suggestions that would satisfied those requirements listed above. Thanks

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

As for the dents on the store camera, don't take that as an indication of the camera's lack of ruggedness. If you seen what in-store displays go through (while checking out cameras recently at an electronics store, I saw a small child pitch an untethered display unit five yards to a hard landing on the floor), it's no surprise that they look abused. No camera is built to withstand the kind of handling that these things get, and so its probably not an indication of how well it will hold up.

I've owned metal-bodied compacts and composite-bodied ones, and I think you'll find that the plastic body will hold to being dropped much better than the metal one in many cases, as the thin/light metal tends to bend on impact (but it takes significant force to crack newer plastics in a similiar situation).

Just something to think about,
    dr

3. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Member

These links may help you decide on either the canon or even the panasonic tz3.

review can850

review fuj40

review fuj50

review panaZ3

Please excuse I had to omit characters from the camera models so you can properly link to the reviews.

Only question that remains is whether the reviews are unbiased and true. I myself thought the f50 was the camera for me... then after reading bad things about it and seeing some grainy photos I then considered the f40... when I then began to search a little more to see how it precisely performs in low light I found those reviews and it seems their approach disproved the conception I had of the Fuji's low light capabilities. I at this point am tring to dig up dirt on the Panasonic tz3 to see what else will pop up on the internet... but for now... I guess I'm going with the panasonic, its a bit cheaper + has a 10x optical zoom... Circuit city has a good price for the camera and/or you can even buy them locally without much hassle, jik..

good luck..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  4. David Rasnake

The Panasonic TZ3 is a good camera for sure, and with that great zoom it's definitely worth a look.

I still stand by (mikeo1313: see my response to your post about ISO testing methods on the related thread) the claim that the Fujis take low light images that look better/smoother than the rest of the field, but remember that this is largely subjective opinion based on comparing images from several cameras. And what looks good to my eye may not look good to everyone's.

In any event, all of those cameras are quite capable.

dr

5. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Member

someone wrote flickr.com is a site where you can check photos of shots taken by different cameras...

besides that which others can you use?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  6. David Rasnake

I'd suggest searching for reviews of the camera (you can go to the Camera Database tab on this site, select your camera, then select the Expert Reviews tab to see links to various reviews for that particular model). Most reviews, including the ones from this site, have sample images shot in a range of conditions; download a few for each camera and do some side-by-side comparisons.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.