Canon Xsi or Canon T1i?

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by danolunchbox, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danolunchbox

danolunchbox Member

So I'm finally going to buy a DSLR and I've been a fan of Canon for a while (I currently have one in their Powershot SD series).

I realize these cameras differ in their specifications and prices but I'm willing to buy either of them...I just don't know how to choose. Do I get the Xsi which is now down to $550 on Amazon or do I get the T1i that is $750?

I feel that one of the big differences that may cause me to lean towards the T1i is the video mode (which the Xsi lacks). I know I might want to shoot some video, but should I just leave that video shooting to my little Canon point and shoot?

So do I save $200 and go with the Xsi or splurge for the $750 T1i? With the Xsi I may use the money I save and get a telephoto lens (which may add an additional $50 and put my budget up to $800)--Is this worth it as well?

Any advice or opinions would be great! Thanks!!

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

If you don't need video you may as well opt for the cheaper XSi. Image quality is approximately the same for each camera.

3. Logicus

Logicus Member

I've had my XSi for over a year now and after probably close to 10,000 shots it still performs flawlessly and produces great images. I know I'm biased because I've already dipped for mine (which was $799 for the body+18-55m kit lens), but should I find myself in the position of needing a new dslr, I'll go ahead and ante up for a full frame. That being said, the XSi, even then, won't go... I'll just keep it for a second dslr to minimize lens changing. I really like my XSi.

edit.. wait on the telephoto lens... get used to the lens it comes with first (unless you just gotta'). The kit 18-55mm lens is really a pretty good lens, but you'll want to spend the money on good quality lens later on, paying attention to IS, aperture size, etc... I bought the Canon 55-250mm with Image Stabilization, but wish I hadn't now. I've decided I really want to get a 100, 105 or 200mm lens that has a, f/2.8 aperture so you catch shots using less than high noon cloudless sunlight.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  4. danolunchbox

danolunchbox Member

Thanks for the advice. Yes it seems more sensible to opt for the cheaper camera since I won't be needing video that much. The only thing I'm worried about is the ISO features of the Xsi vs. the T1i...I do take a lot of photos in low light so I am worried about how the Xsi fares with low light photos. But, if it does a decent job in comparison to the T1i then I'd just go for the Xsi. If you have any comments on the ISO of the Xsi that would be helpful. Thanks!!

5. Logicus

Logicus Member

Man, unless you go with one of the single digit models, the low light performance is going to be more about the lens than the camera. As you crank up ISO, you introduce noise because all you're doing is amplifying the signal and though the newer camera will most likely fair at least a little better, the lens you use will ultimately dictate your low-light performance... here's a couple of shots taken with my XSi....

1. taken at 250mm (Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6) at f/5.6 ISO 800, 1/30 sec. in the primate-house at the Cincinnati Zoo..
    [​IMG]

2. taken at 250mm (Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6) at f/5.6 ISO 800, 1/30 sec. in the primate-house at the Cincinnati Zoo..
    [​IMG]

3. 55mm (Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6) f/4.0 1/30sec ISO-400 at the poorly lit Madison Theater in Covington, KY
    [​IMG]

4. 50mm (Canon 50mm f/1.8) f/1.8, 1/50 sec. ISO-500
    [​IMG]

5. 50mm (Canon 50mm f/1.8) f/2.5, 1/125 sec. ISO-400
    [​IMG]

6. 50mm (Canon 50mm f/1.8) f/1.8, 1/80 sec. ISO-800
    [​IMG]

7. 50mm (Sigma 50mm f/1.4) f/1.4, 1/125 sec, ISO-400
    [​IMG]

8. 10mm (Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5), f/3.5, 1/25 sec, ISO-800
    [​IMG]

Sometimes cameras can introduce noise when long-exposure shutter speeds are used... I've not even used the "High-ISO noise reduction" or the "long exposure noise reduction" built into the camera yet, and have found no need to do so...
    9. 28mm (18-55mm kit lens) f/9.0, 12.0 sec., ISO-100
    [​IMG]

And the next shot was taken when there was, quite literally, no light... or at least not enough to walk by without using a flashlight... very long exposure..
    10. 55mm (18-55mm kit lens) f/7.0, 32 sec, ISO-200
    [​IMG]

This one was taken at very dark dusk light...
    11. 10mm (Tamron 10-24mm f3.5-4.5) f/4.5, 20 sec, ISO-200
    [​IMG]

So, as you can see, it fairs pretty well. Again, it just depends on the lens you use. I love to shoot concert shots and I hate using a flash, so I used to use my Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens a LOT for that (and the lens is only $95!), but since my lens softened the blow to the ground that my camera almost took, I bought a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 which is far better, though it was $500. Regardless, I've never been able to fault the camera. The max ISO on the XSi is 1600 but I never use it because it is too noisy. I played around with the T1i and found the same results... anything over ISO-800 was just too noisy.

I hope this helps - I am by no means a pro, in fact, as amateur as they come, but my XSi has given me some great results. I haven't had my Sigma 50mm to a concert yet, but am going to two in March and will post my images asap.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  6. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Nice shots, Logicus.

7. danolunchbox

danolunchbox Member

Very nice shots!! This is getting my very excited to make my purchase soon. I think that I'm starting to lean towards the Xsi from your shots alone. I feel like I can always upgrade to better lenses when I get more serious and in a few years I'll just get a better SLR...especially for the $200 price difference!!

Thanks for the advice!! I'll be making a purchase soon...

8. Logicus

Logicus Member

Thanks... as I said, I'm really loving my camera. It does have limitations, but nothing that can't be overcome without spending over $2000. I guess the 7D is pretty good even though it has the asp-c sensor - but at $1900, might as well spend $400 more and get a 5D full frame.

But that's a long time away, I think.

9. danolunchbox

danolunchbox Member

Ah yes it'll be quite a few years before I dive into the high end SLRs...but I just purchased my Xsi!! So excited!! :)

10. Logicus

Logicus Member

Awesome! And if you are REALLY serious about low-light photography, I just saw that there's a new company called Noktar that makes an f/0.95 50mm lens for just $750! If I had known that would be coming out, I'd have gladly waited and paid the extra $250 over my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 (hell, I'll probably still end up getting it, depending on whatever else they decide to put out). The f/0.95's that I've seen have been as much as several thousand dollars.... this lens is due out in June...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1003/10030102noktor50mmhyperprime.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.