CANT DECIDE!! Please help: SX10 IS, G10, LX3, FZ28

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Franklyfresh, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklyfresh

Franklyfresh New Member

Hey guys, I'm having a horrible time trying to decide between four cameras. I've read tens of reviews and comparisons on all four cameras, but a lot of the statements all contradict each other. Some say G10 has better IQ than the LX3, and vise versa.Same goes with the SX10 IS and the FZ28. Hopefully the DCR community can help me decide which P&S camera to purchase.

Canon Powershot SX10 IS
    Canon Powershot G10
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28

Budget

Well, since what I've been looking at are these four cameras my expecting budget is around $450 give or take a few.

Size
    No preference what so ever.

Features
    How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    10+

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    I do not believe i need Ultrazoom for my photography needs. It would be a great bonus though. I am definitely not a photo junkie and I do not have too much experience. So Ultrazoom would be nice, but IQ outweighs zoom heavily.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    On a scale of 1-10 IQ is definitely a 10. This is the most determining factor in which camera I want to purchase.

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    Just like zoom it would be a bonus but not absolutely necessary.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Very all around, almost everything. Indoor, outdoor, landscape, macro, dim, and light.
    * Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    no
    Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    yes
    Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    nope
    Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    listed above

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Here's how I would characterize the strengths and weaknesses of the four cameras.

Canon SX10is
    Strengths - very long optical zoom, smooth controls, very good picture quality at low ISO's, twisting LCD, hotshoe.
    Weaknesses - heavy, chromatic aberration, noisy at higher ISO's.

Canon G10k
    Strengths - superb picture quality at low ISO's, excellent build quality, raw shooting, hotshoe.
    Weaknesses - expensive, only 5x optical zoom, noisy at higher ISO's.

Panasonic LX3
    Strengths - excellent picture quality at low ISO's, good picture quality at higher ISO's, hotshoe
    Weaknesses - expensive, only 2.5x optical zoom.

Panasonic FZ28
    Strengths - long optical zoom, very good picture quality at low ISO's, excellent lens with minimal chromatic aberration, shoots raw files, lightweight, reasonably priced.
    Weaknesses - fair picture quality at higher ISO's, small viewfinder

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  3. Franklyfresh

Franklyfresh New Member

Andy Staton, thanks a lot for your reply!

Ok, so since I really do not need the additional optical zoom, I guess the two competitors are the G10 and the LX3.
    Would you say the G10 would have a better IQ than the LX3?
    I've also read a lot about the shutter of the LX3 being a lot better than the G10.

What do you think?

4. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

5. Franklyfresh

Franklyfresh New Member

It's a very very tough call haha, especially since the sample shots of each camera are both of very different objects. But I think overall the G10 looks better.

6. 430752

430752 New Member

Update:

I bought the Canon SX10 for the wife. Why? Well, because I got it at Amazon for cheap for one. For two, I brought up the topic again one day and she repeated she wanted my dSLR, but without the lenses/heft/etc. she was cool with the size and volunteered that she wouldn't keep leave it at home. For thirds, I decided I didn't want to compromise unless I knew the compromises were the right ones. The SX10 seemed to offer the least compromises. The G10 had many of the same features, but offered less quality in image (as far as I could tell), less lens range, and larger file sizes, all for much more money. All the rest seemed to compromise even more. So, that's my choice, the SX10. I'll update once XMas is over and I get a chance to play with it (once she opens the gift, etc.). However, I did at least take it out of the box to feel it. Build quality seems good (plasticy sure, and no dSLR or G series, but not cheap) and I was impressed at its size. True, its no compact, but it is much smaller compared to dSLR than the dimensions would suggest.

For the record, I wanted the Panasonic LX3 bad due to its great lens and reported ISO flexibility. But, the lack of zoom range prevented me choosing it for my wife as an all-in-one go-to camera. If I ever by a point-and-shoot camera for the camera bag as a ready-to-go rangerfinder type back-up to the dSLR, this woudl be it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.