Casio Warranty is Useless

Discussion in 'Casio' started by MrSeoul, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrSeoul

MrSeoul New Member

I bought a EX-V7 in Nov /07 to take to Thailand. On my third day there, the camera went into the dreaded "Camera stabilizer is not available" mode. Camera does not take pictures. So I took it to the AUTHORIZED repair place and they didn't have the required part so they handed me a used V7. I didn't realize that until a while later as I was in a rush to get back to my holidaying.
    It turns out that the camera has its own problems and does not focus except in bright sunlight. It will not focus indoors and use of the flash destroys any photos with a haze.
    Enter Korea and Casio Japan: After several months of emails with Japan they denied anything was wrong with the camera and told me if I wanted it fixed, I would have to pay for it myself. They never examined the camera and only saw one photo taken by it.
    After many months of coercing the authorized service center in Korea to even LOOK at it, they too refuse to fix it. They took five test shots ALL in bright sunlight. Not one shot was taken indoors and none with the flash. Since getting the camera back from them, the focus now kicks in about half the time. Ten months of trying to get it fixed and this is the best they can do? I bought a NEW camera and they replace it with a broken USED camera? BTW, the camera carries a regular warranty as well as a 'tourist' warranty which means it can be fixed in any of a huge list of countries they list. Neither warranty has been honored by Casio.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thanks for the information. I assume you've written letters to Casio describing the problem. Do they give you a reason why they're acting the way they are? If the company isn't honoring its warranty, this is definitely something that should be considered by potential buyers.

3. MrSeoul

MrSeoul New Member

Yes, numerous messages were sent between the Japan office and me. They use a webform that limits how much you can type. And you can only send one response to each of their messages. It was a long time before Casio Japan sent me an email address where I could send them a sample pic.
    The A/S in Korea (Korea is where I bought the camera) refused to even examine the camera until the end of July when I plunked it down on their counter and made in clear in no uncertain terms that I wanted it fixed. They have insisted all along there is nothing wrong with the camera. No need for them to check it. They returned the camera, by courier, to me a few weeks ago with NO explanation or description of any work (if any) performed. All conversations in Korea were in person at the A/S office. It has NOT been a pleasant experience. I plan to file a court action against Casio soon.

4. MrSeoul

MrSeoul New Member

An update:
    On Oct 18 I resubmitted my EX-V7 for repairs as it had NOT been fixed during the 6 weeks they previously had it in their possession. They've now had it an additional 3+ weeks. Of the year since I bought the original camera, I've had 3 days (count 'em, three days!) of working camera.
    Anyone wishing to purchase a Casio camera, I would STRONGLY suggest considering their history of customer service ie: repairing/replacing defective units.
    If in doubt of my terrible experience, please take the time to Google something like "casio problem" or similar and read of the many others who could not get their cameras fixed/replaced by Casio.
    I will repost when I receive my camera back from Casio.

5. psycho

psycho Active Member

sue them......... plz

6. MrSeoul

MrSeoul New Member

Well, I'm screwed now. Casio's A/S returned the camera agin, apparently without bothering to look at it. No explanation, nothing. They just sent it back in a box after four weeks. So all in all, they had the camera for a total of about 10 weeks and NEVER offered me proof that the camera worked properly indoors (or outdoors for that matter). To make matters worse, I have now have no evidence of the faulty camera other than the crappy pics I took with it. The camera was stolen in the Philippines on a recent trip there.
    'Tis a shame. Although still photos were crap, the movie function was acceptable and handy.
    Never again will I buy a Casio product. Plain and simple: they're thieves with no honor.

7. nemothepemo

nemothepemo New Member

The product warranty is not useless unless you are in a hurry to get something fixed. In Thailand I have had service done by shops that claimed they were Factory Authorized Service. They had printed forms and everything. I was asked to leave my camera and come back the next day. When I came back they handed me my camera back and said they had fixed it. When I went to use it I heard a lot of noise that sounded like lose parts inside the camera. When I tried to take a picture the camera did not work at all. I rushed back to the shop only to hear that they fixed it and it must have broken again. I said I was going to the Police. The guy who ran the shop laughed and said his brother worked for the Police and if I made a report I would be in for trouble. I took it to another shop and they said the camera had been cannibalized and all the usable parts had been replaced with old, used parts and there were some that were missing. You need to read your warranty and find a real Authorized Factory Repair Shop. This kind of rip off happens with Mobile Phones and other consumer electronics. I was just a fool on a holiday. Be Warned !!!

8. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

What a horror story. When I go on vacation I take my Panasonic and Canon and my wife takes her Canon, so we have three cameras available, just in case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.