CCD vs CMOS Noise Comparison

Discussion in 'Photography' started by usapatriot, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

What I have noticed about CMOS sensor is that they do produce a nicer noise/grain over CCD sensors. CMOS sensor noise/grain is much finer and less obtrusive than CCD noise which is a lot blotchier.

In practice, one would really have to look at the images at 100% to see the difference, in real world shooting it has little effect, both sensor types retain the same amount of detail(related to their MP count of course) it's just the noise who's appearance is different.

Here are a few samples I prepped using sample images from a website. All 100% crops they are slightly different thanks to the differences in resolution but you get the idea.

CMOS noise is nicer but the difference is close to negligible in real life shots unless viewed at 100%.

Nikon D300 12mp CMOS:

[​IMG]

Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12mp CMOS

[​IMG]

Pentax K200D 10mp CCD

[​IMG]

Pentax K200D 10mp CCD (Slight noise removal + sharpen)

[​IMG]

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Nice comparison shots. Thanks for the side-by-siding.

dr

3. tyb

tyb New Member

cmos seems like the way to go. Nikon has jumped on the bankdwagon and I'm sure there are more to follow.

4. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Interesting comparison. I have to say that I have only ever noticed noise in one of the images that I have printed, it was an 8x10 from my 6 MP camera, shot at ISO 800 (its a bit older of a camera), and the noise was just noticable, not a problem.

Not to say it shouldn't be a comparison, but I think at times people worry a bit too much about the noise and other "stats" on their (prospective) cameras.

5. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Definitely, I agree with Caleb, you can really only see the noise difference when viewed at 100%, although the noise does look slightly better from a CMOS sensor when viewed normally, it's not as blotchy.

Still if you look closely, the XSi and K200D have relatively similar noise performance even with their different sensors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.