Change back to the old website layout

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by jsd, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsd

jsd Member

ok I'll give it some time to grow into it. I've been reading this fantastic site for several months even though I just signed up recently (which was a requirement for posting in forums).

I think one of the main things I don't like is that everything is just squeezed together whereas the older page was more spread out.

I agree with Andy, some color would be nice. Everything is mixed together without any seperation. Like up at the top with all the links, before we had nice big buttons that were easy to see (and they let you know which section you were currently in). Now it's just text and makes it a little harder to understand, atleast for me.

I miss having the percentage meters in the Popular Cameras section on the left side. It's fine having the checkboxes but please bring back the percentages too. Please darken the checkboxes if possible, it's a little too light and strainful on the eyes.

I also miss the Recent Discussion on the main page (now only viewable inside the forums).

Other than that, I'm glad the best thing of all was not taken away and thats the reviewers & Article creators. You are the reason I keep coming back. I appreciate everything you guys do. Thanks!

I've been reading your site trying to decide on an ultra-compact for over six months and still can't decide between a couple models. I'll get with you guys in a more suitable part of the forums though. Like you guys say, "theres no perfect camera."
    Oh I like the one about putting up $700 and putting 2 cameras in your pocket to do one job. That was funny, yet serious.

2. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Thanks for the comments, jsd. I promise that we'll continue to fine-tune as needed and see how people respond.

As for the "Recent Discussions," they're still on the homepage; scroll down toward the bottom and they're underneath the features.

Glad to have you as a reader!

dr

3. David Rasnake

Let me do a little exploration...

dr

4. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Today I like this much better, however, I do think that a more red theme would be better. Just my couple of cents (a lot from a poor college student).

5. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I find the new layout a lot slicker and more professional looking, I like it. :)

6. David Rasnake

Thanks for the feedback, guys. We'll take it all into consideration as we continue to update things. As for the red theme returning, I'm hoping that we can bring that back into the forums especially in a serious way (obviously, these mismatched forum layouts are very temporary, but they work and our web development guys have more pressing stuff to hit first).

dr

7. mamber-m

mamber-m New Member

Spending/being patient for a couple of weeks with the new design, I still don't like it. To be honest I hate it. Looks more "professional", which I guess appeals to some people (not me, for me, contents is the most important), but I like the old design which is less annoying. Too much (very often) useless information on the top page which makes really useful info more difficult to find.

Reminds of me the changes of PCMag website, or google homepage which is little by little becoming annoying.

Already I visit digitalcamerareview less frequently. I still like the notebookreview, which keeps the old clean format.

Anyway, since I am just one visitor to this webpage, and it seems that many like the new look, so my opinion should not count. I just wanted to voice dissatisfaction. I am not surprised that there are more silent dissatisfied group of people...

I love the reviews themselves. Keep good work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.