Change picture size

Discussion in 'Software' started by phonevoice, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phonevoice

phonevoice Member

I set my camera for extra fine and the pictures are too large. I am using a Canon SD 800 is. Any suggestions on how to resize these and what setting is best for all around shots to keep and send? \
    Thank you.

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Once the images are on your computer, you can use several programs to export to a lower JPEG quality level and resize. Extra fine is the highest quality/lowest compression.

I can't really tell from your message what your plans are for the images. If you're going to just email to someone, then something smaller than 1024 pixels wide is probably the way to go. If you're going to make large prints, then you want as much data you can handle, so leave the images like they are.

3. phonevoice

phonevoice Member

Thanks, that's a start. I guess I would email most but maybe one will stand out and I'll want to send it to Snapfish for a 5x7 or something. I have PhotoDeluxe, and I also have Photoshop around but not installed. PhotoDeluxe can export so I will play with that.. it's an ez program to work with.
    I am enjoying that SD800 IS... after all my questions. Thanks Ben.

4. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

Is there a program that would allow batch resizing of photos? I have hundreds of pictures taken at 8mp that I will never print, so even if I one day get a screen that has a high resolution display (something like 1900x1200) I don't need anything like the res that 8mp gives me, it just takes up space.

5. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

For most quick operations like this, I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. You can select the images and export to a different quality setting and/or image size.

I've also used Macromedia Fireworks and Adobe Lightroom. I'm pretty sure that Google Picasa can do this as well (and it's free).

6. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t recommend you down-sizing your pictures, unless you are doing that to copies of the original while keeping the original untouched.

You never know if the day will come when you want the high res. Version, you may want to crop into one of them, may be – as is happening – cheaper LCDs become available and PCs advance to where something of 8MP will be displayable … anyways … I would say, keep the 8MP original and down-size a copy of them. Put the original on DVDs and store them somewhere safe for future use.

As for a good batch processing application, have you had a look at irfan view? It be what you need and it is freeware.

7. bTaryag

Office picture manager is pretty good for this. I never even knew that the program existed.

Wail, I am having that dilemma. When I first starting ripping my music to digital - and I have hundreds of CDs, I used 128 kpbs to save space, but I now regret that, I should have used 192 for better sound. Hard drive space keeps getting cheaper and cheaper. So I may have the same regrets here. I guess I'll have to think about it some more.

Thanks guys.

8. Wail

Wail Well-Known Member

Talking about ripping CDs to MP3 ... I did the same mistake as you did, bTaryag, with ripping the 100s of CDs I have to 128 kbps .. I have since had my daughter, and other kids in my family, work as "child slaves" and re-rip all the CDs to 192 ...

I have since learned my lesson and will never "under-estimate" my quality needs just because I am limited by hard disk space, or money ...

As you said, hard disk prices keeps getting so cheap that it is almost pathetic .... just at the turn of the century I paid close to USD 1,500 for a 1 GB IBM Micro Drive ... these are now going dirt cheap!

9. bTaryag

I like that child slave idea. I'll have to induct some of the neighborhood kids...

10. bTaryag

I just bought the Fuji F31 fd - and the photo software that came with it allows for easy batch resizing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.