Cheap wide angle good quality lens

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by rowman, Jul 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Dear folks,
    I have a D5000 and a nikkor 35mm f1.8 with circular polarizer. I love the shots that I take with this camera and lens. The outdoor pictures are superb. However, at times I feel I have the need for wider focal lengths. With what lens about 18mm range I can get similar quality shots as of 35 mm f1.8. The budget is extremely limited.
    Thanks,

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The kit 18-55 zoom will easily be the lowest cost solution. Of course these are f/3.5, not 1.8. The wider the angle, the more likely a polarizing filter will introduce uneven density, resulting in strange gradients in a blue sky. But if the weather is not perfectly clear, then this effect will not be so visible.

Kelly

3. rowman

rowman Well-Known Member

Thanks for your answer. 18mm would be OK for me. A question, Could you compare the IQ in kit lens @ 35 mm to my original prime both stepped down to f8 for example ?

4. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

The quality of prime lenses is more predictable than with zoom lenses. As a very broad rule the prime lens image should be a little "cripser", for pixel peeping. But instead of generalizations, it's much better to use the lens sites for specific comparisons. Sites such as New Camera and Photography Articles | Recent Articles Index for byThom sites | Thom Hogan, LensTip.com - lens review, lenses reviews, lens specification - Lenstip.com, Welcome to Photozone!, and Camera lens tests, user reviews, camera accessory reviews - SLRgear.com!

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.