Choices between Sony Alpha series

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Katjaneway, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Katjaneway

Katjaneway New Member

Budget

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible: It really depends, I don't want to go over $1,700 (not including a kit lens) but I'm fine with getting used. I pulled this number from seeing a A7S used for $1700 normally they are over $2,000 and I wouldn't pay that much. I'm not sure if the A7S is *necessary* however, the ISO is incredible, but I'm also not a professional photographer and don't intend to sell my photos and think I might be able to get by with something less?

Size

What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
    : Need a full frame mirrorless camera.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    : 20+ MP would be ideal

What optical zoom will you need?: I don't use optical zoom; at least not currently on my NEX-5N because it's a pain in the ass to use

How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10): 10

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?: YES.

General Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?
    : landscape photography, including astrophotography (I bought a Samyang 14mm ultra wide f2.8 lens)

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?: I would like to, but it's not required

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?: low light as in milky way photos, yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?: Not really

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    : I need to keep the brand Sony E-Mount because of the Samyang lens I bought.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    : The Sony Alpha series line

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD): I will need the ability to do time lapse photos hopefully with using an app on my phone instead of buying an intervalometer, so if that means NFC, wifi, etc that would be great (I can't do IF with my phone)