Compact Camera for Snowmobiling

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Tantrum, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tantrum

Tantrum Member

Looking for a compact camera for taking shots of snowmobiles and landscapes out on the trail.
    I have a Canon 40D but get nervous about bringing it out sometimes.
    Requirements.
    -perform well in cold.
    -video capable.
    -Compact but doesnt have to be crazy small.
    -Fast focus for shooting fast moving objects.
    -Wide angle
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well as any other fetures I should be concerned about.

2. kruuzer10

kruuzer10 New Member

Take a look at the upcoming Olympus 1030 SW, all weather, rugged, shock and waterproof camera...It might fit your needs (once it becomes available).

3. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I would think that wide angle and a simple interface (I'm thinking cold fingers) would probably be the points of most concern. I'd probably start by taking a look at the Canon SD870 IS. Not sure about its cold-weather performance, but it's a good all-around camera and reasonably fast.

dr

4. David Rasnake

Good call on the Olympus as well. You trade some in terms of image quality, but in terms of durability, the SW cameras can't be beat.

dr

5. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

How about the Panasonic TZ3? 28-280mm stabilized lens. Fast start-up, focusing and shutter speeds. Small metal body, but not too small.

6. Tantrum

Tantrum Member

Excellent
    Thank you for the recommendations. Ive taken a look at the TZ3 and that seems like it could be a good choice. Ill look at the Olympus and the Cannon tonight.
    What about the video quality on these. How do you determine the video performance on a point and shoot?
    I have a decent video camera as well (Sony HC96) so Im not looking for HD. I would just like a filler tool when I dont have my SLR or Camcorder.

7. denncald

denncald Well-Known Member

You might want to check out the Olympus 790 SW, and the newer 850 SW

Both are rugged, and freezeproof, as well as waterproof and shockproof.

8. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

Tantrum

The video on the TZ3 is fine, however, you can not use the zoom while shooting a video. You can zoom in on your subject, then shoot a video with optical image stabilization. Panasonic says the reason for this is that you would "hear" the zoom motor in your video. One last note, sometimes fast moving subjects are hard to track using only the LCD, even the huge 3" high res screen on the TZ3. I would suggest taking one out for a "spin" before purchasing. I do love using mine, but I wouldn't want you to make a bad decision on one if it doesn't fit your needs. Hope this helps a little.

9. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

If you are looking into the TZ3 it might be good to wait for the TZ5. From what David has said is his "First Thoughts" on the camera, its a good upgrade. I don't know how long until you would get one, though.

10. David Rasnake

TZ5's should hit stores in March, but I imagine the "new model factor" will push price much higher than where the TZ3 is at (it's a pretty amazing bargain at $225), in spite of limited hard specs improvements.

What is big, and what the first thoughts doesn't mention, is the ability to capture 720p high-def video. If you have an HDTV, the playback looks pretty nice (we saw it in action at PMA). Pretty sure there's still no zoom during video on the TZ5, though.

dr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.