Confused Btw Canon 1000d and Sony alpha200

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by my4thdimension, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. my4thdimension

my4thdimension New Member

Hi There,
    I am trying to upgrade from point and shoot to dslr. Read reviews about lot of dslr and how to look for a dslr camera and am confused again.

My needs are simple..
    DSLR is for hobby and not for any professional photography, very much interested in macro and nature photography.. hence would be interested in buying macro lense in future..

Was thinking of buying canon 400d, but meanwhile canon came up with 1000d which is almost like 450d but without few features.. which i dont think am really in need of.. but there are hardly any buyers for 1000d, so am confused again that should i go for 1000d though it suits my needs..

Meanwhile saw lot of good reviews about sony alpha 200 which is inmy budget, however when i looked for macro lense compatibel to sony alpha 200, they are all very expensive , minolta and sony lense starts from $250, where as for canon i can go for 3rd party macro lense which will cost $100..

So kindly advice me whether canon 1000d is ok to buy and also are there are macro lense which would come within $100-120 range(am okay wiht used lense)

Thanks in advance..

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

3. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

For macro lenses, do you want something that can resolve 1:1 (makes an area about the size of a postage stamp the full frame) or would somewhat less magnification be ok?
    A

4. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

Finding macro glass for the Sony/Minolta mount can be frustrating, especially if you don't want to spend a fortune. For a hobbyist, you can find good (though as Aaron is hinting at, not usually 1:1) macro glass for both Canon and Nikon mounts cheaply, so I'd look to the entry-level models in those systems first.

There's also Pentax, which has lots of older low-cost macro glass that works with its flexible mount, but using a manual-focus, manual-metering lens may be more than you want to get into.

dr

5. AaronM

AaronM News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

To continue that though from our esteemed admin, I have two macro capable lenses in my Canon kit:
    * Canon efs 60mm Macro, it can do 1:1 and is quite nice, but about $350 and not good for much besides macro
    * Sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro. About the same price, but a much more versitile lens, it is my usual walk-about. drawback is that maximum magnification is about 1:3

I think Sigma makes some even less expensive Macro glass in their older line of primes.

The other thing to consider is focal length. I take pictures of watches, so I can get as close as I like, but if your targets are insects you might be better served by a 100mm or longer macro, so you don't get too close.

A

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.