Considering the FX35

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by gino_lee, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gino_lee

gino_lee Member

I've been in the market for a new ultracompact for a while now. I have been considering the Canon SD line and the Panasonic FX35.

I'm so close to jumping on the FX35. I just went to test out the FX35 and the SD 770 IS tonight at some electronics store in China.

I liked both of them, but I liked the FX35 more because of the dial to select the different modes. I'm a big fan of manual controls as opposed to going through menus.

My big problem, is that I've read that the FX35 take poor quality photos indoors and has lots of noise in dark parts in many reviews. However the review on this site does not mention anything about this.

I noticed that the flash would go off, with the FX35 whereas in the 770IS there was no flash needed and the pictures came out very similar on 100% magnification.

Image quality means a lot to me. And all the reports of excessive amounts of noise from this camera is keeping me away. The store was brightly lit, so I'm assumming that is why both the 770IS and the FX35 came out similar.

What I would like to know is if in fact noise is an issue with the FX35, as well as blurry pictures in low-light and action shots (sports games).

I also noticed that the 770IS resulted in pictures under 3MB, while the FX35 was around 4.5MB for abou the same quality. Can anybody comment?

I was hoping to jump on this soon since at one store I can get a free 4GB SD card, and at another I get a free 2GB and a case. But now I'm hesitating and even thinking about the FX37 which I have yet to see in stores.

TIA

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

This is what our reviewer said about noise and the Panasonic FX35:

If you're very concerned about noise in low light shots, you should consider a Fuji F100fd, Pentax A40 or Sony W150. They aren't necessarily better all around than the Canon SD770 or Panasonic FX35, but they are probably lower in noise at high ISO's (400-1600).

3. gino_lee

gino_lee Member

I think maybe what I'm wondering is if the noise is very noticable, or do I need to magnify to 100%?

The review on this site doesn't make it sound like there is much problems, and it even got the March Editors Choice. But while reading other user reviews, I've read people say its so bad, they returned the camera!

Does anybody that has the camera care to comment?

I was going for the 770IS and the FX35 since they use SD cards which I already have a couple of.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.