d5000 lens

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by scotty1234, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotty1234

scotty1234 Member

I just bought a Nikon D5000. I’m looking into buying a new lens. Any ideas?

I’m a completely novice photographer and have no specific use for the lens.
    I take more landscape and macro shots. I was thinking a 55mm-200mm or 70-300mm because of the versatility, but don’t know if that would be good for a beginner or who makes a good lens.

I don’t have a tripod and need the VR and AF-s features. I was planning to spend around $200, but would spend more if there is a good deal.

Let me know what you guys think.
    Thanks

2. scotty1234

scotty1234 Member

Re: Which DSLR

thanks guys, i think i'm gonna go with the d5000.
    it's $100 cheaper and someone at best buy told me they are discontinuing the xsi...???

do you guys know of any good lenses for the d5000. I'm a novice photographer with no set intention for the lens. i was planning on spending $200 but will pay more if there's a good deal.
    i was thinking 55mm-200mm or a 70mm-300mm because of the versatillity

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

My shooting is almost entirely landscapes. So far no need for a telephoto. I would suggest getting up to speed with the "kit" lens that comes with the camera before worrying about buying additional lenses.

Kelly Cook

4. scotty1234

scotty1234 Member

It's actually a gift, in 2 parts. I'm graduating a receiving the lense as a gift and they asked me which 1 i wanted. I have no idea

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Re: Which DSLR

The D5000 is bundled with a kit lens, the very compentant Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR. Nikon also has a reasonably priced 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR lens that's very good. If you're looking for a 70-300mm lens with built in autofocusing and VR, Nikon makes the excellent 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR lens but it's expensive, about $550. You can buy cheaper 70-300mm lenses but they won't contain both AF-S and VR.

6. scotty1234

scotty1234 Member

are there any prime lenes for this camrea that are also VR that are also AF-S?

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

8. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

I have to say I can't imagine needing VR on what are usually considered prime lenses. VR helps, and I have tested that on various cameras and lenses, but don't think its a game changer or you will be let down.

I would check out the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S. Its a really fun lens (I have an older version of it). There is a lot you can do with that lens, its relatively cheap and very high quality. As Kelly suggested I would get a lens like this and spend some time really learning with it.

Some of the most fun I have had shooting was at Christmas taking pictures of family with my 50mm. When you aren't always worrying about zooming you can take some really nice pictures. Plus, with the wide aperture you have a lot of options for indoor shooting - flash or no flash? Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  9. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

I wus hoping Caleb would chime in :D

Anudder Nikon prime that would tempt me is the old Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8. As with the DX size sensor that 35mm translates to 52mm in 35mm speake. Which would be nice for sunsets, etc.

Kelly

10. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

I don't surf the forums enough - I mostly moderate - so get my attention if you want my opinion, though sometimes I'm not sure why people do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.