Digital Camera News: 6GB Gateway Photo Jukebox, Camera Raw plugin update, DIWA Gold Award for Canon

Discussion in 'Digital Camera News' started by Ben Stafford, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

IncreasedCapacityof the Gateway MP3 Photo Jukebox

Gateway has announced that their MP3 Photo Jukebox will now be available in alarger capacity, allowing the storage of up to 2,000 images. This device, which combines digital music playback, photo storage and a color display in a 3.4 ounce package will now have 50% more capacity and a new color scheme. The Jukebox will be available from Gateway and electronices retailers for $249.

[​IMG]

The new model, the GCM-6 provides 6GB of storage. Pictures can be viewed on the color screen one by one or in a slideshow format. The device has a USB 2.0 interface to allow quick transfer of images and can connect directly to some camera models without the necessity of any special adapters or cables.

Adobe Updates Their Camera Raw Plugin for Photoshop

Adobe has updated the Camera Raw Photoshop plugin to add support for some newer cameras. The plugin now supports the Canon Digital Rebel XT, Nikon D2X, Olympus EVOLT E-300, and the Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

Canon Digital Rebel XT (EOS 350D) Wins DIWA Gold Award

From LetsGoDigital: The Digital Imaging Websites Association (DIWA) has announced that the Canon Digital Rebel XT (EOS 350D) has won a Gold Award. While being offered as an entry-level digital SLR, the Rebel XT outperforms some of its more expensive rivals.

Kai Thon, DIWA's test manager says: "With the EOS 350D, Canon has refined the successful pioneer and predecessor, the EOS 300D, by improving all the imperfect details pointed out by DIWA. Both the new 8.2 Megapixel CMOS sensor, similar to the one used in the Gold winning semi-professional EOS 20D and the remarkable DIGIC II image processor. Our extensive scoreboard gave results surprisingly close to those of the EOS 20D, revealing no major construction concerns. DIWA experts from Europe and USA agreed that the EOS 350D elevates the "Amateur D-SLR" class pleasantly close to professional cameras, at a fraction of the price."

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_3191.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I suppose the main advantage is the ability to clear off your memory card, but if you're serious enough to have one of these vaults, you probably have several memory cards.

3. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

There is a high novelty factor, but if you like your MP3 player, it seems like a cost-effective solution to clearing off your camera's memory card, whether you view your pictures on the device or not. I agree with you on the screen size though.

I don't have an MP3 player, so if I wanted some extra storage, I would probably look into some of the newer "vaults" - some that can store 20GB for around $200 (the Kanguru Media X-Change 2.0 is one of these). There are also some vaults that feature some nice screens - the Epson P-2000 has a 3.8 inch screen, has a 40GB hard drive and card slots for Compact Flash and SD cards.

I think we're also going to see more in the way of portable picture viewers though. Kodak is pretty excited about their EasyShare Picture Viewer that has a 2.5 inch screen and can hold up to 150 images. The Viewer (of course) can then dock with their printers. We saw the device at the CTIA show and it would definitely be a cool alternative to "wallet" sized pictures. Definitely not great for sharing 7 megapixel images, but a neat way to show your grandma some VGA sized pics of your pets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.