Digital Camera Review is moving to a new platform

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by brubenstein, May 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brubenstein

brubenstein Administrator Super Moderator

Hi all,

Today, we will be making a big change to the DigitalCameraReview forum, moving it off of vBulletin, to a newer, more streamlined platform called XenForo - we have already moved our other forums over to the new platform over the past several months.

Once the transition is complete (exact time TBD), all the same content/profile info will be there (including likes, etc.) and you'll be able to log in as usual, so you can quickly do what you've always done. In addition to enjoying a simpler, cleaner design, other sites that have made this transition have experienced significant increases in site speed and page load times.

If you'd like a sneak peek of what the new forum will look like, you can check out any of our other forums:
    NotebookReview
    TabletPCReview.com - Tablet PC Reviews, Discussion and News
    Brighthand.com - SmartPhone and PDA Discussion

We are currently offering 4 different forum styles/themes, which you can toggle through once you are logged into any forum using the style chooser at the bottom left of any page.

This is a useful guide to the basic features of the platform (I will be posting one here as well): XenForo How-To | NotebookReview

Some other frequently asked questions...

Why are we making this change?
    Three main reasons: Design, performance and security. XenForo offers a more up-to-date look and feel, and more intuitive navigation. Many sites that have upgraded to XenForo have seen an increase in site speed and page load times. Finally, XenForo’s updated security tools are a key factor after many vBulletin-based forums have been compromised in the past year.

Will I be able log in with the same information as always?
    Yes. All user account information will be carried over.

What happens to all the current content/links?
    All forums, threads and posts will be carried over as well and attributed to the right profiles.

Will user settings/permissions remain the same?
    We’re working hard to make sure that all the current settings transfer over. With slight differences in how permissions work from one platform to the other, there may be some minor settings to address. For one thing, we’ve noticed that if you’d subscribed to a sub-forum, you’ll need to re-subscribe to continue getting email updates from that sub-forum.

Do I keep my user title?
    Yep, this will be carried over as well – any title you’ve earned will remain the same. Also, if you have the ability to customize your title now, you will again. For now, we’re keeping the same default user titles.

Any terminology changes I should know about?
    On XenForo, “posts” are known as “messages”, “notifications” are “alerts” and “private messages/PMs” are known as “Conversations.”

What about formatting changes to expect?
    Three main items to know about:
    - XenForo does not allow for HTML rendering in posts, so you’ll need to use BBcode once the new forum launches. All existing posts with HTML will be converted over, though signatures will not – you’ll need to update those manually if they include any HTML.
    - .bmp avatars cannot be displayed with XenForo; only .jpg, .png and .gif files are allowed. We’ve seen some issues with animated .gifs, but all other avatars should work fine.
    - Image attachments. When adding an image to a post, you can upload two types of attachments, thumbnail or full size. We’ve noticed that sometimes full-size attachments don’t appear right after upload, but will show once the post is published. Also, you need to be signed in to view full-size attachments.

Can I still use TapaTalk?
    Yes, TapaTalk works with XenForo too – though there may be some slight variations in the functionality given that XenForo is a newer platform and TapaTalk is still updating its software (most issues we’ve noticed are with moderation tools so shouldn’t impact the majority of users). Because all forum styles are responsive, you may prefer to use those on your mobile device.

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Let me know. I'll post a notice about the exact migration time (and amount of expected downtime) when I have it, and will also add a new thread for comments/bugs once the transition is complete.

2. brubenstein

brubenstein Administrator Super Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.