Dimage A1 Downloading Problems

Discussion in 'Konica Minolta' started by Dritz, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dritz

Dritz New Member

I've had my camera for years and have never had a problem downloading pictures to my computer until now. When I connect it via the USB cable, my computer sees it as a removeable disk drive and asks me to insert a disk when I try to open it. When I unplug the cable, the drive does not drop off the list of drives like it used to. I'm running Windows 2000 and I admit, I'm not real computer savvy. I recently lost my husband and he was the computer tech so I'm a little lost and don't know how to fix this. I'm guessing it's a computer issue and not a camera issue, not even a software viewer problem because this happens without even opening the Dimage viewing software. The only thing I can think of is that I've had a problem with Unsafe Removal of a Device warnings ever since I changed my old HP printer for a new one (same model). Ever since when I boot I get those popup warnings. I tried to correct it myself and even contacted HP but after they screwed my computer up I just figured I'd live with it so I'm wondering if there might be a relationship there. Any insights or suggestions?

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

If you still have the Minolta software disk you might try uninstalling the camera software and then reinstalling it.

3. Dritz

Dritz New Member

I went ahead and reinstalled the Dimage viewer software, no change. :(

4. obsolete guy

obsolete guy New Member

Dritz:

I am a beginner (of 6 months experience) with the Minolta Dimage A1, myself.

Even though some operations require a bit of study (5 paragraphs on the self timer, for example) the facilities that are needed for great pictures are there in quality that can not be matched by a new camera within my budget.

My learning style was to keep a simple camera available for taking the necessary picture if I became stuck and could not figure out how to make the A1 do what was needed.

You have some choices in how to get the data out of the camera and into the computer.

At least here is what works on my computers : Operating systems--one has winxp , other has Vista.

I do not have any Minolta software, but instead use freely available software mentioned later in this post.

I do not have a Minolta-supplied cable, but instead use a USB cable bought very cheaply on ebay. These cables are not a perfect design and if you were determined, you could put the camera end of the cable into its socket upside-down. Please check the socket and plug configuration to make sure the cable is engaged properly at the camera end.

Method one: (no camera cable involved) With camera turned off: use the eject button by the memory socket to eject the camera's memory card part way then pull it out of the camera. Now use a card reader to access the card's contents.

Method two: Use Picasa latest version, to import the pictures from the camera into the computer

Method three: Use IRFAN similar to method two

Caution: this note does not serve as a complete tutorial, but rather offers some suggestions that could be tried by a person having some computer knowledge or a computer savvy helper standing by.

Do read the A1 manual pages 152 through 157 regarding the sequence of connecting, turning-on, turning-off before you start doing anything with cards and cables.

Wishing you success in your photographic efforts,
    Obsolete Guy

5. Dritz

Dritz New Member

Obsolete guy, thank you for your suggestions. I have been considering getting a laptop for some time and may just finally do that because of this issue. I have a removeable drive that I was going to use for backup purposes and thought perhaps I could use that to transfer the pictures. I haven't tried to plug it into my current computer but that too could be a problem like the one I'm already experiencing, where it's seen as a floppy drive. I also considered loading them on a laptop and then emailing them but that sounds like a pain. This problem with the drive is probably easily fixed but I don't have anyone that can look at it and don't want to risk hiring an unknown person for fear they might screw my computer up, especially after hearing many horror stories of such things happening. I was spoiled because my husband was brilliant with the computer. I'm not a total novice but I am more novice than expert!

6. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm very sorry for the loss of your husband. I hope you get this problem cleared up. If you're interested in purchasing a new camera, we'll be happy to give you assistance. If you need help in your search for a laptop, take a look that the companion site to this one, www.notebookreview.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.