Dimage F100 not working with power adapter

Discussion in 'Konica Minolta' started by hendra, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hendra

hendra Member

My Dimage F100 does not work with the power adapter. The green LED blinks and the camera doesn't work. The LCD does not light up and none of the buttons work. The camera works perfectly if I use the battery. I used generic power adapter before and it worked for a while before it quited. So, I bought the original power adapter made by Minolta. Again, it worked for a while before it quited.

Is it the problem with the power adapter or what? How come they broke so quickly? Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Are you talking about using the camera while it is plugged into a power plug?

Does the camera work if you have the battery in the camera while it's plugged in to the power plug?

3. hendra

hendra Member

Yes

Yes, it does work when both the battery and the adapter are connected to the camera. It also works when battery alone is in the camera. It doesn't work when the adapter alone is connected to the camera.

4. usapatriot

Alright well I think that we have found the problem then, some devices when connected to the power plug without a battery will not work because the battery is needed to "cache" some of the power for the camera to work properly.

5. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

If you have had two adapters work, then quit, I would suggest first you test this one to see if it has gone bad. Either get (or use if you have one) a cheap multimeter and see if it is doing what it is supposed to. If you aren't too sure about that, find a friend that can help (take it to a RadioShack and ask if they can help you/show you how, some of their employees are really good about that kind of stuff).

If the adapter tests "good" then it seems like there is something wrong with the camera itself.

6. hendra

hendra Member

Actually, I did try to test the adapter with my DMM. The problem is, the jack of the adapter is so tiny that the DMM test lead or aligator clip is too big for that. I even use a wirewrap to do the trick, but the DMM seems to have a problem reading the voltage since the wirewrap connection to the internal polarity of the adapter jack is not very stable.

7. hendra

hendra Member

OK, thanks for the reply. Here's what I noticed after doing some experiments. If I have the adapter and the battery in the camera, I can turn on the camera instantaneously. If I have the adapter and the battery connected to the camera, then remove the battery, it will take the camera about 5 seconds to turn on.

Is it a normal behavior for the F100? How much current does the power adapter take from the battery. I certainly want to keep the battery life as long as possible, as they are very expensive.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  8. usapatriot

I would not know, I don't own a KM F100, but it probably is normal behavior by the looks of it.

It won't hurt to keep the battery in the camera at all times, by the time that's capacity has diminished to the point of it barely holding charge will take a long time, by then chances are you would have bought another camera.

I wouldn't worry about it. :)

9. hendra

hendra Member

Is your camera like that? Requiring the battery to be in place in order for the adapter to work? Are all digital cameras like that?

10. usapatriot

I don't have a power adapter for my camera, I use rechargeable Ni-Mh's for my camera and charge them in an off-camera charger.

I wouldn't really know but there are bound to be different systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.