DMC-FZ28 Small enough to wear on belt or should I go SX110?

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Mars777, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mars777

Mars777 New Member

I really like the DMC-FZ28 for a great potable camera that I can have with me most of the time. But, in saying that, is it wearable on my belt? I cannot find a DMC-FZ28 locally to visually see how big it really is. Width & height aren't much bigger than the Canon SX110. The depth though is the BIG problem. It is 3.5" thick!

I found a nice tight fabric bag made especially for this camera that has a belt loop. Here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330314140687

Is the DMC-FZ28 going to be too large to lug around this way? Are any of you currently carrying the DMC-FZ28 this way? Is it awkward, practical?

or

Sould I go the Canon SX110 way & be happy with that?
    But I really DO like the DMC-FZ28.......

TIA!
    Tom M.

2. kaptain howdie

kaptain howdie Member

i just got a fz28. this camera imo is between a point and shoot and a dslr. its fairly compact, very lightweight and has many features that a more expensive dslr has. In answer to your question, yes i`m sure its possible to wear it on your belt but for me it would be too bulky. if you are strictly looking for greater portability than perhaps the sx110 is suited.

if your a true outdoor enthusiast and are looking for a camera to take along during a rugged adventure, you should consider an olympus 1030. but for what this camera is, it lacks in its photo abilities in comparison with the two you mentioned. (my wife wants one bad!!!)

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1363

hopes this helps, sorry for the olympus plug................i just love that camera!

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Here are the dimensions of the two cameras, FZ28 first, SX110is second.
    Weight: 417g, 285g
    Width: 4.6 inch, 4.4 inch
    Height: 3 inch, 2.8 inch
    Thickness: 3.5 inch, 1.8 inch.

The SX110is is the size of a large PDA, which many folks wear on their belts.

The FZ28 is the size of a small cigar box or a double Whopper to go.:D I think it would be pretty uncomfortable on your belt.

4. Mars777

Mars777 New Member

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies!

I concur. Unfortunately, I also think it WILL be too bulky to have it constantly on my belt. I am leaning closer and closer to the Canon SX110 IS.

My thinking right now is Sx110 for everyday, and saving my bucks for a true large CMOS sensor for low-light conditions. Like an EOS 20D or newer. I am an Amateur Astronomer and would love to couple the EOS to my 12" reflector telescope!

Thanks Again!
    Any other opinions would greatly be appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.