DMC-FZ35 vs Alpha A330

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by cambridgeblue, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cambridgeblue

cambridgeblue New Member

Hi all,

I'm going to the US on holiday and I'm looking to pick up a digital camera over there as they are significantly cheaper than in the UK.

I'm looking to spend no more than $500 usd and I'm after something with a decent zoom on it. My girlfriend has a Panasonic Zx1 which she is very please with and I looked at the Tz-7 but I'm tempted to buy either an entry level dslr or a camera which is basically like a dslr but with a fixed lens.

My main reasons for this are:

1) Image Quality is likely to better on even an entry level DSLR than a mid level super zoom compact camera (?)

2) Shooting Speed is likely to be faster on even an entry level DSLR than a mid level super zoom compact camera (?)

I'm not too bothered about taking multiple shots quickly - more about speed for a single shot... what frustrates me with a lot of digital compacts is that the lag between pressing the button and taking the photo often results in the subject being off center - particularly when photographing objects at a distance (wildlife for example).

Panasonic are a brand I know and trust for quality digital cameras, Sony I know less well but their entry level DSLRs seem good value.

Any insight into the comparative merits of the two cameras in the title - or any alternatives you can recommend (or even general observations over DSLR vs fixed lens cameras) would be gratefully received.

Best price on the FZ35 I've found is $299, best price on the A330 (with 18-55mm lens) is $379.

CB

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Your basic understanding is correct. But the nuts-and-bolts of these differences are never so simple. Here is a link to a prior thread that covers most of your questions -

I need 2 cameras :)

After a chew on that thread, do follow up here with more questions of your own.

Kelly Cook

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Your price on the A330 seems much too low to be legit. It should cost close to $500.

4. cambridgeblue

cambridgeblue New Member

www.fumfie.com - very mixed reviews - some glowing, some bad.

They are based in Brooklyn NYC and we're flying in to NYC for a few days before going off to LA so I can pick up from the store so no shipping charges / worries about delivery.

5. cambridgeblue

cambridgeblue New Member

I'm definitely tempted by the A330 but the Pentax K-x also looks good - I particularly like this feature:

"still images can be captured at a fast 4.7 frames-per-second at shutter speeds up to 1/6000th-second as JPEGs or RAW files."

Does anyone have any direct experience of the two? How does the image quality compare to say a top spec P&S like the Panasonic Lumix Tz-7 (aka ZS3 in the USA)?

Also are you limited in terms of lenses with either one? I'm also keener on a DSLR that uses AA or AAA as you can carry a bag full of cheap NIMH rechargables or bog standard disposibles rather than having a single Li-Ion that gives only a few hours use because it can be really expensive to buy a backup.

6. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

My Sony A200 produces very nice JPG files, so nice that I don't bother with the RAW format. I would expect the same from the newer A330. Never used an A330, just played with the A380 in the store. The physical designs of the A330 and A380 are nearly identical. I use eyeglasses, and that proved to be a real problem with the small viewfinder on the A380. Could not see the entire frame without shifting my eye around. But should be Ok if your vision is corrected so no eyeglasses.

Both the Pentax and Sony have a much, much bigger sensor than the Panasonic TZ7. For snapshots this makes very little difference. For big enlargements or for deep crops or for advanced PP the big sensor does pay off. Not so much as better detail, but as cleaner colors and greater brightness range.

I've had Canons with the AA batteries. Much, much prefer the dedicated ion in my Sony. Never bothered getting a backup battery for it either. But my travels are not so exotic that a wall plug is not available for the charger.

Kelly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.