Do you recognise this mount?

Discussion in 'Lenses and Accessories' started by mrguy2039, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrguy2039

mrguy2039 Member

I bought a cheap vintage lens - a Miranda 28mm f2.8. Thought it'd be pretty easy to figure out the mount and buy an adapter by googling, but apparently not.

Does Does anyone recognise the mount pictured? P11.JPG P22.JPG

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Miranda lenses aren't compatible with any current cameras. However you can buy an adapter for use with the Pentax K mount DSLR's.

3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Rare lens, and rare adapter. The adapter I found on Amazon for Pentax includes an internal lens to enable focus to inifinity. Which is bad news, as this lens significantly increases the effective focal length of the lens, plus degrades the image quality. The adapters for various mirrorless class cameras (also listed on Amazon) do not need this internal lens and will let the Miranada lens function normally.

Kelly Cook

4. mrguy2039

mrguy2039 Member

I have a Panasonic GH3 (M4/3 mirrorless), so what adapter do I need? Still unsure what mount this is...

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

6. mrguy2039

mrguy2039 Member

Ah ok, thanks for the help anyway :)

Maybe it would be a good idea to sell in on and buy another 28mm?

7. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Right. But the usual 14-42mm kit zoom supplied with Micro4/3 cameras already has the 28mm focal length covered. Just not with a fast aperture.

Kelly

8. mrguy2039

mrguy2039 Member

Yeah, I passed on the 14-42 (I know a Panasonic Rep who gave me a pretty good price - hence going GH3 over GH2, but for a reason he didn't understand, the price difference he could give on the body only and the 14-42 was about $600 difference - which is obviously way more than the lens itself).

I do a lot of video work, so the lens isn't that ideal for me either, but thanks for your help :)

9. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

For AF in video the new Power zooms would seem an obvious choice. For manual use, I suppose any lens could work. Find more info on this by Googling -

GH3 shooting video

Kelly

10. mrguy2039

mrguy2039 Member

Most autofocus systems aren't particularly good for narrative work (it really is quite different from photography, and I recognise this mostly a photography forum) - so manual use is generally preferable. Which is the attraction of vintage lenses (the manual focus is a lot easier to use in them, and they are often very cheap for a decent image). Anywho, I'll have a look at my options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.