DOF setting on panasonic G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by abhisheks77, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abhisheks77

abhisheks77 Member

Hello,

I want to get good shallow DOF on my Panasonic G5. I have kit lens ( (14-42mm + 45-140mm). How can I achieve it, what should be recommended settings on this ? Probably, owner of same kit should be able to tell me better.
    Or do I need separate pair of lens ?

In order to answer this, if somebody need more details of object, etc., please let me know. I am newb.

Regards

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

First of all to get a shallow depth of field it helps to have a subject that doesn't have anything prominent, like a wall, close behind it.

Try shooting at the widest aperture possible but with your subject taking up much of the frame. If you're using your 14-42mm your widest aperture will be at the 14mm setting. But in order to take a closeup at such a short focal length you'll have to be no more than a few feet away from the subject, which could introduce barrel distortion. So try moving farther away and shoot your closeup while zooming in at about 30mm. Your aperture will not be as wide as when you're shooting at 14mm but you won't have any distortion in your subject.

The best lens to use for a shallow depth of field is a fast (wide aperture) prime lens of medium focal length. However wide aperture prime lenses tend to be expensive. For instance the Panasonic G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens costs almost $400. The Panasonic G 25mm f/1.4 Leica lens costs about $500.

3. abhisheks77

abhisheks77 Member

Hi again Andy :)
    I really like the the effect of Shallow DOF and Deep DOF. These effects give nice look to image of Bokeh. I do not want to carry much weight with me (that was the only reason, I didn't brought DSLR). I got these both lenses in deal.
    - So any of my both lenses can give me proper effect on my Panasonic G5 ? I hope, I didn't made a mistake purchasing this G5.
    - I can sell them off on ebay (or somewhere else) to purchase better len (or both lenses). As suggested by you, Panasonic G 20mm f/1.7 Aspherical Pancake Lens or Panasonic G 25mm f/1.4 can be replacement of my existing both lenses or add-on to get better version of image ?
    Mostly I click pictures of my family, potrait and sometimes weekend trips. Keeping my preferences in mind, what is suggested for me ?

I would really appreciate your efforts.

4. Andy Stanton

The Panasonic G5 is a fine camera.
    Don't give up on your current lenses. The 14-42mm should give you the required effect. Experiment and see what focal length works best. Remember to set your aperture to the maximum width your lens will allow at the particular focal length you're using.

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Also helps (a lot!!!) to simply pose the subject in front of a distant background, instead of a background that is not very far behind the subject.

6. Andy Stanton

Here's an excellent article that compares the advantages and disadvantages of zoom lenses and prime lenses. It includes discussion of taking shots with a shallow depth of field. As you can see by the article, each type of lens has its pluses and minuses. In my view, for most people the order of importance are short zoom, long zoom, then prime with a wide aperture. If you're principally a wildlife shooter, long zoom has more importance and if you're big on portraits prime is extremely important.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/...oto+tip+prime+lens+or+zoom+lens+how+to+choose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.