1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Doing a Scifi/Horror Series, need camera & lens advice.

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by ArcaneCity, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArcaneCity

ArcaneCity New Member

Hey everyone...

I'm interested in making a webseries that's a mish-mash of horror and sci-fi. I'm already pretty good with adobe premiere, particle illusion, and some of the other grading/editing/effects programs, but now for the camera question...

I like the look of the Canons. A lot of the vids that I have seen people film using them (along with after effects, etc) give them a look that reminds me a lot of that 'Battlestar Galactica' or 'Stargate Universe' sort of 'look and feel'.

That being said, which would be best for this project, a t2i, t3i, or t4i? And what lenses would you recommend?

This will be both inside and outside filming.

Thanks!

Chris

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

T4i has Canon's latest AF for video, but that feature works only with a couple of Canon lenses at this point. Frankly the look of the video depends a great deal more on the photographer than the camera brand. This is especially true when using after effects, etc.

Lens selection is more tricky. Most serious film guys seem to prefer prime lenses to zoom. Easier to manually pull focus with the right primes.

A whole lot of $$ can also end up being spent on tripod heads and non-tripod "rigs" and "cages". You may be standing at the edge of a bottomless pit.

no help Kelly

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Newer cameras (in the same class) are almost always better. The T4i would give you a few more extras than the T3i (touch screen, stereo microphone) but that might not be worth the extra money you'd have to spend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.