Downtown Miami - Help Make My Night Shots Better!

Discussion in 'Photography' started by usapatriot, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Good looking shots! Sharp and colorful. Credit to the photographer and the camera/lens combination.

2. Suresh Rajadurai

Suresh Rajadurai Member

Were these images edited or is it just the way it was shot?

I tried to take night shots in Toronto with my Canon Rebel XT and Canon SX 110 IS, but it did not come right. Did you use tripod whenever you took night shots?

Suresh.

3. tbird412

tbird412 Member

#1 Is not bad at all. I feel as if there is no real focus of the photo. When someone looks at a photo, they need to be able to identify a subject almost instantly (normally subconsciously) and as I'm sure everyone has told you, try to have that subject cropped in nicely and on one of the rule of thirds areas. When I looked at the photo, the first thing my eyes were drawn to was the large part of the skyline ... in the dead center of the photo. Crop it in tighter, and have the skyline be on the upper or lower third line. I'd say lower since the slight clouds in the sky are a lot more interesting than the darkness at the bottom.

#2 The colors are amazing. They appear a bit saturated, but still, it works. The only things I would change are as follows: First I would have moved closer to the bridge if possible, in order to get a more diagonal line on the bridge itself so that it flows from the right hand side (or top right corner) down into the bottom left corner. This gives the eye a path to travel on through the photo, and makes it quite appealing. Also, I would use a tripod. Or maybe someone or something bumped your camera? There's some motion blur in there. If none of the other issues I mentioned, maybe from pressing the shutter release?

Great job though, love the photos.

4. tbird412

tbird412 Member

OK so that is awesome. After posting my last reply, I noticed Ruben0 pretty much did my suggestion for #2, and #1 was greatly improved also.

5. Razpewton

Razpewton New Member

I think they're all amazing shots. I will admit, however, that I'm attracted to the forces of nature. I like the glow of the skyline illuminating the clouds above it. I believe if I were in the Miami area, I'd be watching for a really strong thunderstorm to roll in (watching the radar on wunderground.com), then head to those same areas and take some shots with the powerful force of nature contrasting nicely with a sharp illustration of man-made structures, illuminated beautifully.

"Before the Storm" shots have always fascinated me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.