1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.
  2. Due to platform maintenance, the forum will be inaccessible for about 10 minutes beginning about 2 p.m. Sorry for any inconvenience! We'll remove this notice when work is complete.

DPI ? for powershot SX20IS

Discussion in 'Canon' started by artbylmr, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artbylmr

artbylmr New Member

I have tried to change settings and no matter what I do when I open an image in paint shop pro I can only get 180 dpi in the original image. Is there a way to get at least 300 dpi off the camera? I bought this camera because I am an artist and am trying to get high res photos of my paintings.

I have been fighting with this for a long time and would really appreciate some advice. Thanks!
    Lynne

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The SX20IS is a 12 megapixel camera. If you're shooting at maximum resolution you should be able to get 300 dots per inch unless you're blowing up the picture to more than 14 by 9 inches.
    See Basics of Digital Camera Pixels

3. artbylmr

artbylmr New Member

Thanks, Andy - The write up was very helpful.

4. pixelmantis

pixelmantis Member

You can't get 300 dpi off-camera, the images on almost all cameras are at 180 dpi. But this shouldn't matter as dpi is relative to what print size you want. If i understand the OP correctly, with the sharp prints he is seeking, it would be a simple case of resizing the images by changing the dpi value.

For example, a 4:3 aspect ratio 10MP image at 180dpi would print out at 20.2x15.2". 300dpi would print out at 12.1x9.1". Extreme 2880dpi resolution would result in a 1.2x0.9" print out.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  5. artbylmr

artbylmr New Member

Thanks, pixelmantis - I get it now! Your help was very much appreciated!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.