E-500 slows down after a few shots

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by leto2nd, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leto2nd

leto2nd New Member

I have a Evolt E-500 that I recieved last Christmas. Everything has been great until recently it started getting sluggish after snapping a few shots. It doesn't seem to matter what mode I shoot in and I have swapped out the flash memory. The first snap goes quick and then with the same exact scene and light and everything, the camera acts like it is in slow motion. The snap goes very slow and seems to pause and the pic comes out blurry. Sometimes I can shoot a few in a row before this starts, but I have to wait a little while before trying again everytime it happens. It never did this before and it seems to be under any and every condition and mode. Any ideas what could be going on?

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Is the actual shutter speed slowing down? I ask since you mention that the pictures are blurry.

At first when I read this, I thought that there may be something wrong with the internal buffer or the camera having problems writing data to the memory card. Since you mentioned the blurry pics and the fact that it happens sometimes after one shot and sometimes after several shots, I would think that it's something wrong with the shutter.

My guess is that the shutter is wearing out, or something is wrong with the metering system to make the camera think that it needs a slower shutter speed. Either way, if you got it last Christmas, it should still be under warranty, so I would get that thing serviced!

3. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

Let's see how many times the shutter's been fired.

To do that:
    1. Turn on the Camera
    2. Open the Memory Card Door
    3. Press the OK and Play buttons simultaneously
    4. Press the up, down, left, and right buttons in that order
    5. Fully depress the shutter
    6. Press the up button.
    7. Press the right button to scroll over and it's the number beginning with R:

I believe the shutter is rated for about 50,000.

4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas New Member

What resolution are you shooting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.