E-510 all pictures suddenly slightly blurry/low quality

Discussion in 'Olympus' started by liselaime, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liselaime

liselaime New Member

I've had my E-510 since mid April and it's always taken crystal clear photos. So I was naturally surprised and devastated when I went on vacation this weekend, took over 500 photos, and returned home to my computer to find that every single one looked slightly blurry--kind of like it had been zoomed in further than it should be, even at a low magnification. I had used all three of my lenses, so it wasn't a problem one particular lens, and all of them were clean. I have most of the settings on auto and use the portrait, mountain, and macro settings most often. I looked at my settings and they are as follows:

Gradation: Normal
    Weird symbol thingy: HQ
    WB: auto
    ISO: auto
    Noise filter: standard
    Noise reduction: on
    Metering: the first option
    lighting bolt and plus/minus signs: 0.0
    AF mode: s-AF+MF
    [---] : auto
    AE BKT: off
    WB BKT: R off, G off
    FL BKT: off
    Anti-shock: off

Image stabilizer is on IS2. To my knowledge, these are the same as the settings when I originally bought the camera and the same as the ones I've used for the past two months. Does anyone have any idea why my pictures suddenly look fuzzy? Thanks in advance. I can also send samples if it would help.

2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

Did you make sure that the auto focus was on?

Have you tried resetting your camera's settings?

3. rp2s

rp2s Active Member

Is it possible you had your macro setting turned on? It happens ....

4. liselaime

liselaime New Member

Yes, according to the exif data and whatnot on Photoshop, the camera was on autofocus for all of the pictures.

I would reset the camera, but I don't know how to do it on the E-510. I looked through the manual's table of contents in the front and the index in the back and I can't find anything about resetting the camera, only resetting a lens and protecting pictures from being deleted.

5. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I believe that there's a "factory reset" in the depths of the menu options. I'd try that if you can find it.

Sounds like it may need a trip to a repair shop to see what's up. It's possible something's gone haywire with the AF sensor.

dr

6. avisitor

avisitor Well-Known Member

I don't believe there is a way to factory reset an E series camera. Lens reset simply pushes the lens back to infinity on shutdown.

7. momoffour

momoffour New Member

I was wondering if you ever got a resolution to your problem. I have the same issue going on with my camara. It just started happening 1 week ago and I've had my camara since June. I would appreciate any info you have. Thanks.

8. jack55

jack55 Well-Known Member

If you had it on IS2, that might be your problem as that is for blurring the background while panning.
    IS1 is for general stabilizing.
    See page 36 in your pdf manual.

9. ShariN

ShariN New Member

You are not alone. At first my Evolt 510 was taking out standing photographs.

Then.. all the action shots became seriously blurry. Tried Auto, Scene selection , even manual, no change.
    Sent it back to Olympus, they changed out one of the sensors because it had stopped working.. they sent it back(on a brand new camera) and it worked for a short time now it is back to taking blurry action pictures. Even with the IS off and on a tripod.

Another problem, Flash will meter for up to 5 mintues before it will take an indoor shot, even in bright light.

The problems are progressing.

I also have an old Nikon...which has no issues like this, even in its old age. No issues with Action or mid or low light. Nor does my DH's work camera...Cannon EOS-1D Mark III have these issues. Can take the same shots.. the Nikon and Cannon has no issues... the 510...is a joke.

Even had two life long pro photographers use my 510..and they had the same problems. Both said either chuck it in the trash or raise holy stink about it to Olympus.

Personally I think we ended up with Lemons and i am very unhappy about it.
    Really don't want to have to pay to send my 510 back to the shop again.
    Not sure what to do about it but it is basically un usable as it is.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  10. ShariN

ShariN New Member

Try this....

Nosie Filter- Low
    Noise reduction- Off

Catch...have to change the settings back to this each time you turn the camera on.
    Not perfect but you should at least get some good shots.

As for the flash.. been working on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.