Entry Level DSLR to shoot kids' sports

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by Baseballmama, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baseballmama

Baseballmama Member

I'm looking at venturing into the world of DSLRs in order to take better action shots of my kids playing sports. I've had a variety of point-and-shoot cameras over the years, even several that were supposed to better at taking action shots, but they've all been a disappointment. I have no aspirations of being a professional photographer, but it would be nice to take pictures and it not look like we're in a smokey bar all the time!

Recommendations are much appreciated!

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Less than $1000 total, closer to $500 ideal

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

Size doesn't matter

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

I don't know

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

I need to be able to take pictures of my son on the baseball field so, a good zoom is important

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?

I have no idea what any of that means. I'm hoping for an intelligent or auto mode to take most pics with, although I'm willing to learn in order to take better pictures

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Pictures of kids playing various sports

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

Probably not but it would be nice

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Yes definitely

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

I've been looking at the Nikons & Canons

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

I've been watching the Nikon D3100 since it went on sale at Target

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Image stabilization is always nice
  2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

To take good action shots (in good light) requires a certain amount of expertise. The quality of the camera is secondary. For instance taking pictures of fast moving kids requires a fast shutter speed. While DSLR's will permit you to adjust the shutter speed (shutter priority mode) so will many point and shoot cameras. If you're trying to shoot in low light, the large CMOS sensors of DSLR's will enable you to take better pictures, though these days many point and shoots also have CMOS sensors for good low light shooting.

Taking a good long range shot with a DSLR requires switching to a long zoom lens, which is cumbersome. Also the lens is an added expense. You might want to consider a high quality point and shoot camera with a long zoom lens, a CMOS sensor (for low light shooting) and a shutter priority mode. The point and shoot does not require changing lenses and will give you good image quality (though not on the same level of a DSLR).

Here are some DSLR-like point and shoots with a long zoom lens, CMOS sensor and a shutter priority mode:
    Nikon P520
    Fuji SL1000
    Canon SX50hs
    Panasonic FZ200
    Panasonic FZ60
    Sony HX200v
  3. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

4. capefox

capefox New Member

For taking photos of your children participating in sports, you'll be needing a camera that has a VR (vibration reduction) feature. Also. a zoom lens to bring the action closer. There is a Nikon Package that includes zoom and wide-angle lenses - even a tripod. It does video too. Here you can see more about the features and specifications of the Nikon D3200 Digital SLR.
  5. Josheh

Josheh Member

Guess I'm in the same situation. I need a camera that takes good pictures both still and moving, has a good video recorder and has a nice zoom! (although I guess the zoom depends on the lens right?) I've found a Nikon D3200 for about $500 thats been used once and comes with a lens although I'm unsure which one it is, and I've just spent about an hour doing comparisons and I cant find a camera thats better than it for my budget! (unless anyone else knows one?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.