1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Evaluating Upgrade to Canon SX-50

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by vikram404, Jul 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vikram404

vikram404 New Member

Hi All,

I have been using a Panasonic Lumix ZS7 and its been serving my needs quite well. I recently came across the SX-50 and I am considering moving from the ZS7 to the Canon SX-50.

I would like to understand the key benefits that this Camera would bring to the table beyond the Monster Zoom of 50X.

Given that this Camera is going to be bulky can I expect substantial improvements in the pictures? I see that the focal length called out in the spec says 24-1200 mm as against the 25-300mm in my current Camera. Can someone explain to me in layman terms how this would help me :)

Regards,
    Vikram

2. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

3. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

The SX50 HS has a back-illuminated CMOS sensor, compared to the CCD sensor of the ZS7. This means the SX50 HS will have better low light image quality without flash and faster performance. The SX50 HS has a higher resolution video mode, has a flash hot shoe (for adding a separate flash) and can shoot in RAW mode. The SX50 also has an electronic viewfinder and a fully articulated LCD.

Probably not, except for no-flash pictures in low light.

You will be able to take closeups of objects 4 times farther away than your ZS7, though image quality won't be very good at the long end of the zoom.

4. vikram404

vikram404 New Member

Thanks for the quick replies.
    Can you also comment on "Action Photography" - is the SX-50 any good for that?

Regards,
    Vikram

5. KCook

KCook Well-Known Member

Better than most point-and-shoot cameras, simply because it has a viewfinder, which most little cameras don't. You may find a used DSLR for about the same price as a new SX50, the DSLR would easily surpass the SX50 or any other point-and-shoot for action work.

Kelly

6. vikram404

vikram404 New Member

Thanks - that helps - I will do some more analysis on d-SLR options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.