Exchange Year - Want a New Camera

Discussion in 'What Camera Should I Buy?' started by joebusby, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joebusby

joebusby Member

Budget
    $300 (£150-170), but very willing to look for second-hand - e.g. eBay

Size

Ideally something no larger than say, a Lumix DMC-LX1/2/3. I want to be able to put it in my pocket, so no ultrazooms.

Features

*How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    I guess a min of around 8 - iso performance, colour and manual settings are more important to me.

* What optical zoom will you need?
    Not my focus, but a little zoom is always good.

* How important is “image quality” to you?
    7-8

*Do you care for manual exposure modes (shutter priority, aperture priority, manual)?
    They would be very useful, but again - if it can take amazing photos in a normal mode I'd prefer to get the shot and play in photoshop later. I want to remember the year, take it with me on trips and so on.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    Having in my pocket/bag. Taking with me to remember crazy moments - to sports games, out on nights out, to play polo, to go on trips to mexico, all sorts.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    No, but I'd like to view them on a computer screen quite big and print some (no bigger than 12" across)

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Probably - nights out in clubs and pubs and parties

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Yeah, I'll be playing Polo and watching all sorts of amercian sports I'll be new to

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    I've never liked the appearance of nikon and fuji cameras. Aesthetics are very important to me.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Only secondhand DMC-LX1's and DMC-LX2's, FX35's/FX500s (but can't find any 500s or lx2s for less than £200 ($400) secondhand/ebay).

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Wide angle would be helpful. Image stabilisation definetly. The rest are pretty come and go.

Thanks, hope I've given enough information.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. usapatriot

usapatriot Well-Known Member

I would recommend that you have a look at the Nikon P5100 and Canon Powershot G9, both are solid and advanced point & shoot cameras with great image quality.

The first thoughts for the Panasonic LX3 have just been posted so you might want to check that out to see if it's worth buying to you, you might also want to wait a few days till the full review is posted up.

3. joebusby

joebusby Member

Those first two are somewhat too large to fit in my pocket - it was more the LX-2 that was the largest.

The LX-3 looks perfect, but it won't be out for at least another three months (amirite?) and it probably won't retail for less than $400, whearas my max is $300.

4. usapatriot

How about the Canon A720 IS, it's a bit smaller than the Canon G9 while still packing a lot of it's features and retailers for less than $200.

Maybe also have a look at the Fujifilm F100fd, it has a wider angle lens than the Canon and good image quality.

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

For the best picture quality under $300, I don't think you can do better than the Canon A650IS (available online for about $300). If that is too large, I'd consider the Canon SD870IS, SD790IS, SD770IS or SD1100IS.

6. David Rasnake

David Rasnake News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

On the LX3, I'm betting retail will be right at $400 once things settle down, but probably not right away. Should hit store shelves by the middle of next month as best I can tell.

I'm voting with Andy on this one: if you want to spend less than $300 and don't mind the size, you can get almost everything a G9 does in the A650. A great deal, in my opinion.

dr

7. joebusby

joebusby Member

But as I've said already, the A650 is too big to fit in my pocket from when I played with it in the shop.

I guess I'm stuck with like SD870 / FX35 / so on

8. usapatriot

Well I would recommend the SD1100 on the low end and the SD870 and S890 on the high end. The Panasonic FX35 and FS5 have also proven to be solid cameras as well.

9. joebusby

joebusby Member

I can't stand the appearance of the Fuji F100D.

It must be between the FX35, FX500, an LX-2, the SD870IS, and the new SD890IS.

So for some questions that will hopefully finish this:
    ** How does the LX-2 compare to the current ranges of ultracompacts that I'm quoting - like the FX's and the SD's?
    *Is the FS5 simply a budget FX35/500 with less features/cheaper made?
    *Is the FX500 Simply an FX35 with touch screen, and apeture/shutter priority modes?
    *How does the 970IS compare to the older 870IS - is it a good enough improvement (manual options, pixels, e.t.c) to give up the wide angle?
    and finally
    *I've seen the comparison between the F100D and the FX35/500. How much better is the picture quality from the 870/970 over these, and over the LX-2 I asked about first?

The answers to these questions should put me at an answer :).

Thanks for all the help you've given me.

When I get the answer, I'll have it sent to my apartment in Sanfran from the US - it'll be much cheaper then. God bless the USA ;-).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  10. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Here's my take on your questions.
    *The LX2 is an older model that was great in many ways but had a major problem with noise (and noise reduction) at 400 ISO and up. The newer models under consideration are less noisy at higher ISO's.
    *The FS5 doesn't have the extreme wide angle or the HD video of the FX35 or FX500.
    *The FX500 is very similar to the FX35 other than the fact that the FX500 has the touch screen and manual controls.
    *The Canon SD890IS appears to have the best picture quality of the Elph cameras, especially at higher ISO's. However, the SD870IS also has very good picture quality. The SD890IS has an optical viewfinder, which the SD870IS lacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.