Exilim z60 worse than 4yr old Powershot S400?

Discussion in 'Casio' started by gino_lee, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gino_lee

gino_lee Member

Hi,

I just got an Exilim Z60 from my brother to replace my 4 year old Canon Powershot S400.

So, I immediately went to comparing my new 6MP camera to my old 4MP camera. I hate to say it, but i think my 4 year old, 4 MP camera may actually be better than my new 6MP camera on the picture quality.

I know it doesnt sound correct but hear me out.

I have a pair of really fuzzy socks that I used for a test. The socks were on the ground and I took a picture of them standing up. Using the S400, it was actually possible to tell that the socks were really fuzzy, whereas with the Z60, the socks only looked fuzzy, partly because the picture was fuzzy! the Z60 was missing detail. Flash or no flash, the S400 seemed to give a nicer picture. Note, I had to zoom in on both pictures. 100% for the S400, and 80% for the z60.

Then I decided to take a picture of something further away. Again, my old S400 was able to capture a little more detail with a little more sharpness than the new Z60!

So i decided something was wrong and loaded up the pictures in Paint Shop Pro. Turns out the Canon was recording images at a resolution of 180pixels/inch, while the Casio was only at 72 pixels/inch!

viewing on screen, there is not much difference. but the difference is apparent when i start zooming into the pictures.

S400 looks to have more detail at 4MP than the Z60 at 6MP.
    ...unless there is a way to increase the pixels per inch that i dont know about.

2. Ben Stafford

Ben Stafford Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your results. I typically prefer Canon image quality because of this sharpness.

3. gubak

gubak Active Member

We can see now the differences between Canon and Casio!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.