File Numbering on Canon cameras

Discussion in 'Canon' started by stuman74, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuman74

stuman74 Member

I just got a Canon SX100 IS and have a quesiton about file numbering.

Years ago, I had a Canon A20. Apparently for Canons, you can number the folders on the memory cards, but I don't see any way to influence the file names.

For example, in 2003 I have file names on my PC from my A20 named IMG_0001.JPG and so on.

I take a photo today with the SX100 IS, and the file name is also IMG_0001.JPG.

I don't want to ever screw up and overwrite old photos just because of the name change. Is there a way to change that prefix to make, for example, IMG10001.JPG or IMGa0001.JPG or something like that?

Thanks!

2. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

I tried to search, the best I can find is to check the Setup Menu, see if there are options there that can be used to change how it is numbered. I would be very very surprised to hear that the numbering options can't be changed.

3. E.B.E.

E.B.E. Well-Known Member

I suggest downloading to temporary folder, using total commander or something similar for a batch rename from IMG_ to IMGSX100_ or something like that, and only afterwards sorting the photos.

You can reset counters to 0, but I don't think you can set them explicitly to values larger than 0. Nor can you change the prefix from the menu options.

4. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

I shoot in RAW 99.99% of the time. That ensures that I have captured all the information it was possible to have captured at the time.

I copy the memory cards to my PC, preserving the folder/filename structures.

Then I run the Adobe Digital Negative Converter against the whole folder structure on the PC, which usually consists of multiple memory cards.

During the conversion from .CR2 to .DNG, I set the options to:
    • Include Images in subfolders
    • Save to New Location
    • Not Preserve Subfolders
    • Rename the Images. I use YYYYMMDD-4 digit serial.DNG and begin numbering with the same number as the first image on the first memory card (to make matching up RAW with DNG easier if I need to do that)
    • And I do not embed the original (takes too much space)

I then copy the .DNG files that are in the new location, which is a single folder, to CD or DVD and process them with Adobe Bridge and Adobe Photoshop CS2.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  5. E.B.E.

E.B.E. Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I doubt the OP is such a hardcore user :)

(Also SX100 doesn't have RAW AFAIRemember)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe News/Review Writer News/Review Writer

There are a number of other batch renaming utilities out there, some of which are freebies. ;)

7. CalebSchmerge

CalebSchmerge Super Moderator/Reviewer News/Review Writer

Thats very true. Personally, I use adobe lightroom, then all my files are sorted in folder by date, with a keyword and a number (just a counter) for the file names. Then, I never have conflicts and have to worry about my files. A good photo library program (there are free ones out there) is a critical tool.

8. stuman74

stuman74 Member

I found on the CD that came with the camera that there is an EOS program that lets you give customer prefixes and so on...but it doesn't work with the PowerShot cameras! Why does this have to be such a hassle???

9. E.B.E.

E.B.E. Well-Known Member

Personally, I use total commander. Not just for photos but for all the file management. I do the folders myself. Helps me relax :D

10. bTaryag

bTaryag Well-Known Member

The easiest batch renamer is built in to Windows!

Select multiple items, right click on the first one, rename, and all the following items get renamed as well, with number attached!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.