FinePix S700

Discussion in 'Fuji (Fujifilm)' started by map95003, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. map95003

map95003 Member

Hi All, I've had a S700 for over a year now and it does a good job when taking pictures outside where there is lots of light. Indoor pictures are kinda dark (I use the Auto mode). Now I recently setup a Reef aquarium in my home, it is lit well because my live corals need high powered lights to survive(~400w light fixture above the tank aimed directly downwards so it is not visible when taking pictures, the tank just looks very bright.

However, my pictures of my live corals and fish are still dark. Do you know of setting changes I can make on the camera to help or do I need a newer camera for this type of photography?

Thanks.

2. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

Put your camera on aperture priority mode, set your aperture to its widest position (F 3.5) and take your shot. If it's too dark, set your ISO at 400. If it's still too dark, increase your ISO to 800.

3. map95003

map95003 Member

Just an FYI...in the past I've tried functions "N" and "N /w flash", don't seem to make much of a difference with the aquarium shots. Not sure if it's because I'm going through glass. With the flash, I get the reflection off the glass. I'll play around a bit with the close-up settings to see if I could use the camera up against the glass to try and avoid the back-flash.

4. map95003

map95003 Member

Andy, I'll try your suggestion later today... thanks.

5. Andy Stanton

Andy Stanton Super Moderator Super Moderator

With a camera that has manual controls, like the S700, you don't need the N scene mode (natural light) as all it does is increase the ISO, which can lead to noisy pictures. You'll get a much better exposure if you set the ISO and other parameters yourself. Also, when shooting against glass, flash is going to be nothing but trouble so I'd turn it off.

6. map95003

map95003 Member

Andy, thanks for your help. I got a much better picture by setting the aperture and ISO. I'll keep playing around with these settings to see if there is room for improvement in the picture quality.

7. spintyer

spintyer Well-Known Member

Up your ASA\ISO to gather more light, faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.